News, Culture & Society

British girl nine dies of anaphylactic shock in Costa Del Sol after eating ice cream

British schoolgirl, nine, dies after suffering severe allergic reaction to eating ice cream at Costa del Sol hotel while on holiday with her family

  • The youngster was on holiday with her family in Mijas, Spain when she fell ill
  • She had an allergy to milk and nuts and was rushed to a hospital near Marbella
  • Became ‘critical’ and was moved to Malaga hospital where she died on Monday

A British schoolgirl on holiday with her family in Spain’s Costa del Sol has died after eating an ice cream.

The nine-year-old is believed to have gone into anaphylactic shock after suffering a severe allergic reaction.

The primary school pupil and her family were staying at a hotel in the Spanish municipality of Mijas and was allergic to milk and nuts, according to Malaga newspaper Sur. 

The incident happened on Friday, with local media reporting she died on Monday afternoon at Malaga’s Materno Infantil Hospital.

A British schoolgirl who died after eating an ice cream while on holiday with her parents was staying at a hotel in Mijas (pictured)  

The child, who has not yet been named, is said to have been rushed to the Costa del Sol Hospital near Marbella on Friday before being transferred to a specialist children’s centre in Malaga in a ‘critical condition’ on Monday where her condition deteriorated. 

An autopsy was carried out at Malaga’s Institute of Forensic Medicine yesterday morning.

The results – sent to an investigating judge tasked with heading a probe into the tragedy – have not been made public, according to Spanish legal procedures.

Further tests will now take place at the Institute of Toxicology in Seville to confirm whether her death is linked to an allergic reaction to the food she ate.

The incident happened on Friday, with local media reporting she died on Monday afternoon at Malaga's Materno Infantil Hospital (pictured) 

The incident happened on Friday, with local media reporting she died on Monday afternoon at Malaga’s Materno Infantil Hospital (pictured) 

The hotel where the girl fell ill has not been named.

No-one was available early on Wednesday to comment officially.

News of the tragedy comes as health chiefs confirmed they were probing the death of a woman who fell ill after eating at a Michelin-starred restaurant in the east coast Spanish city of Valencia.

The 46-year-old had eaten wild mushrooms with rice during a meal to celebrate her husband’s birthday.

Owner Bernd Knoller has announced the closure of Riff, which has one Michelin star, until it becomes clear if the death was caused by the meal she ate.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.