Bruce Lehrmann received an anonymous email warning people were ‘coming for him’ and it would be a ‘magical 2021’ just days before Brittany Higgins made explosive rape allegations against him.
Mr Lehrmann filed lawsuits last month against Lisa Wilkinson, Channel 10, digital website news.com.au and journalist Samantha Maiden for defamation.
His legal action is over a TV interview and online article on February 15, 2021, where Ms Higgins alleged she was raped in Parliament House in March 2019.
But new court documents just released by the Federal Court reveal a mysterious message was sent to Mr Lehrmann from a fake email address using his name.
It was sent at 11.11pm on January 25, 2021 – the same night sex abuse survivor Grace Tame was named Australian of the Year, who was also referred to in the mysterious emails.
Bruce Lehrmann received an ominous email warning people were ‘coming for him’ just days before Brittany Higgins (pictured with Lisa Wilkinson) made her explosive rape allegations
New court documents just released by the Federal Court reveal a bizarre email was sent to Mr Lehrmann from a fake email address in his name
Pictured: Bruce Lehrmann outside NSW Federal Court in March
‘Bruce, a woman spoke about what happened to her tonight, and she’s Australian of the Year,’ the email said.
‘I want you to have a think about what you did, and what might be around the corner for you.
‘It’s inspiring when justice is delivered and the truth comes out. You know what they said: The truth will set you free.
‘How many people know what you did, and how many did you tell.
‘How many cameras are in Parliament House and how many people tracked down the vision.
‘Think about it. Two former staffers from Aussies, now security guards.
‘It’s going to be a magical 2021.’
The email, from email@example.com, was sent to Mr Lehrmann’s personal hotmail account and later handed over to police on April 19, 2021.
The court documents revealed he had received an earlier email on January 15 with the subject line ‘Truth will come out’ which Mr Lehrmann then unsubscribed from, revealing it had been sent from an anonymous email portal.
Details of that email’s contents were not revealed in the court files apart from the subject line.
In a police statement, Mr Lehrmann said he had received the two emails prior to Ms Higgins’ allegations.
‘There were, ah, two emails from a domain name not owned by me,’ he said during a police interview.
In an email to police, he later added: ‘I am forwarding through as requested the two emails I received.
‘One from the below address which I do not own or have ever set up and the second from what appears to be an online system of sending an email message.
‘I will follow this email with the second email I have that doesn’t have any content as I unsubscribed my address, but it does contain the subject line of the initial message.’
Also included in the dossier of papers was an email between Mr Lehrmann and Ms Higgins just hours after the alleged rape early on Saturday March 23, 2019, and an exchange between the pair of Liberal political staffers the following Monday.
Bruce Lehrmann’s legal action is over a TV interview and online article on February 15, 2021, where Brittany Higgins (pictured outside court in October) alleged she was raped in Parliament House in March 2019
Also included in the dossier of papers were emails between Mr Lehrmann and Ms Higgins in the hours and days after the alleged rape early on Saturday March 23, 2019
At 10.53am on Saturday, eight hours after Mr Lehrmann was seen by security leaving Australia Parliament House where he had allegedly left Ms Higgins semi-naked in a minister’s office, he sent her a work email.
He forwarded a media summary relating to her role as a staffer for then-defence minister Linda Ryenolds with with an innocuous message and a smiley emoji: ‘Might see about getting you on this list! :)’
No reply is included in the court papers, but the pair exchanged further messages about the list 48 hours later on the Monday morning.
At 7.34am on March 25, he emailed her again to say: ‘Not letting me send to private email! Will email David and get your gmail on the mail list!’
Ms Higgins replied at 1.16pm: ‘So weird!
‘Honestly, that would be the best if you could.’
The federal court is considering whether there should be an extension to the 12-month limitation period in which an applicant is allowed to sue for defamation.
Mr Lehrmann filed the cases two years after publication.
He was not named in both articles but claims multiple people in his circle were able to identify him as the alleged rapist.
The interlocutory hearing concluded last week. Legal counsel for the news outlets and Wilkinson confirmed, should the trial go ahead, it will likely run for at least four weeks.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk