Can anyone guess what the technology of the future will be? What will Facebook, cloud computing or the smartphone of tomorrow look like? We dare to play Nostradamus. Thus, this is our prediction.
The great boom comes from two different lines: social networks and cloud computing. Both are two technologies that are in full development, almost at the highest point of the market curve, and yet they will still give a lot of play to create businesses or transform one into operation.
- Cloud Computing: The cloud is one of the most revolutionary advances in recent times. In cloud computing, we are experiencing several phases. Now it is a question of seeing how the computation of that huge amount of data is done. And in this management, above all, three fields are opened:
‘Streaming’: Nowadays, technologies are already being developed that allows any mobile to access in real-time any content that we have stored in the cloud, from videos to presentations. This is an advance that can improve content management in companies and also streamline transactions in electronic commerce.
Encryption: Security in the cloud is crucial for this trend to take hold. Numerous companies are emerging here that are developing software designed to ensure the security of cloud computing transmissions. IBM has just created a technology that also enables operations to be carried out and analyzed in the cloud with encrypted data without the need to decrypt it. That is to say, it allows computing encrypted information. This can be crucial to ensure security not only in information management but also in monetary operations.
Big Data: It is related to cloud computing, but it transcends its limits. Since the launch of the Network, huge amounts of information have been uploaded and there is a lot of information in transit. Now, it is about seeing what we do with all that data and that is where a multitude of business opportunities can arise. And it points out two main areas.
- Data mining: it is about developing business models that allow giving value to that data, and to be able to discriminate what information really interests you and what doesn’t. Thus, all those business models specialized in the analysis of Internet data have a great future.
- Monitor that data: be able to create directories that allow you to store the data that interests you and replicate it on all devices (which Dropbox already does, for example).
It is an area that is exploding and generating a new market and a new way of relating to people that can generate numerous opportunities. And among those that are already being detected, we can highlight the following:
- Intranets 2.0: Before, consumer technologies were a derivation of the military or professional world, as happened in its day with GPS; now the opposite phenomenon is taking place, and technologies that were started for mass consumption are being transferred to large organizations, such as social networks.
- Remap It: allows you to make a history of your tastes and the sites you visit on the Internet, but also makes it easier to put it in relation to the preferences of your friends. It has been created for Facebook but opens up endless possibilities to do CRM in any company. In addition, to set preferences, it also allows you to connect to any page that appears on Facebook from your own IP.
- ‘Social Commerce’: It is related, precisely, with that Remap technology. Now what is proposed is to use social networks as virtual commercial establishments, so that if you purchase something it allows you to see how many of your friends have acquired that and where.
In this regard, the key is in the search for technological energy efficiency, whose pillars are supported by servers with lower emissions and reduced maintenance cost, cheaper energy production, greater autonomy of the devices, and, of course, energy savings.
- Green Computing: There is a growing trend that combines technology and environmental concern. Its aim is to develop more efficient, smarter servers that pollute less, with fewer emissions, and require fewer maintenance costs. Any business model that focuses on this technological energy efficiency is going to have a great boost in the coming years.
- Batteries: Those that are being promoted the most are solid lithium batteries, which allow greater autonomy and faster recharging, both for electric vehicles and for all kinds of electronic devices, such as androids or smartphones that consume battery very quickly.
- ‘Smart Grid’: It is a kind of network that relates the elements that consume energy with those that produce it to manage energy efficiently. At the moment, it is developing among large consumers and producers (city type), but it has many fields of application: companies, buildings, and industrial estates, among others.
90% of the businesses that are emerging in Silicon Valley are related to the mobile world –smartphones, tablets… – to the point that there is already talk of Smartphone Valley. What is being promoted the most are:
- Internet access: The appearance of the entire generation of smartphones, androids, tablets, iPads are revolutionizing the concept of physical access to information and the future involves developing technologies and software that allow access to the Internet both from these devices and even from the television, or from any other appliance. There are already companies, such as Samsung and LG, that are betting on televisions that connect to the Internet by default.
- Development of ‘apps’: Smartphones allow you to download up to 1,000 apps (applications that you download from your mobile) per day. Within these applications, there are all kinds: games such as free slots which are extremely popular, tools, programs, calorie counters, and so on … The world of possibilities that opens up is infinite because the mobile industry allows you to develop as many applications as there are on the web: reservations, entrance purchases, tickets, access to content …
- Augmented reality: It is one of the most popular technologies. It consists in that you record, photograph, or simply focus with your mobile something and automatically the device locates where you are, adding layers of information. This, applied to certain businesses, can open up an infinite world of possibilities in the field of marketing, and distribution, because it will allow creating a virtual copy of your company. Imagine, for example, how powerful it can be in an amusement park.
Moore’s Law states that computing capacity can double every two years. If this is important in any field, in genetics where everything is governed by the speed of genetic sequencing, it is fundamental.
- Biological computer: The creation of the first biological computer: at the Craig Venter Institute they have managed to create an entire genome and inject it into a cell and make it live. It is the first synthetic cell in history. It is the idea of the minimum cell that will allow the creation of all kinds of tissues, corneas, bacteria, pigments … Thus, the possibilities in the world of food, chemistry, and healthcare are endless.