Brave bystanders who used a chair and a shopping trolley to ram a knife-wielding terrorist have been hailed as heroes today.
Somali terrorist Mohamed Khalif launched a frenzied attack in Melbourne stabbing three people, killing one, after crashing his car into a pedestrian, before he was shot dead by police.
The car, filled with gas canisters, went up in flames before the lone wolf attacker launched himself at officers.
Witnesses intervened, including one man who bravely charged the terrorist with a shopping trolley and another who brandished a chair at him.
Social media users praised the actions of the bystanders, with some even saying they felt safer in the city because of them.
The man with the trolley could be seen running from one side of the road to the other before slamming into Khalil with such force that he himself fell over.
However, the trolley seemed to trip the attacker and slow him down moments before officers opened fire on him.
As well as the man with the trolley, another man armed with a chair can be seen attempting to intervene and help.
Reacting on social media, one person said: ‘Total respect to the shopping trolley hero trying to take down a mad knife man with nothing but a metal basket on not very good wheels.’
A bystander has been hailed as a hero after he attempted to take down a knife-wielding man using a shopping trolley during Friday’s horrific attack on Bourke Street
In the aftermath to be a body was lying on the road covered in a white sheet
Another said: ‘Incredible work by police in Melbourne but also bystanders – one using a trolley to try subdue the man.’
A third added: ‘Cops trying to take down man armed with knife. Passerby seems to be trying to take him out with a shopping trolley.’
Witnesses said the terrorist’s Holden Rodeo car was loaded with gas cylinders and hit a pedestrian as it mounted the kerb and burst into flames outside Target near the Swanson Street intersection about 4.20pm on Friday.
Several clips shared on social media show the man carrying a knife and sprinting at police officers – who were armed with batons and tasers.
Another onlooker, with a chair over his shoulder, was also seen trying to help police arrest the attacker and also earned praise on social media
Video showed a man wielding a knife attempt to stab and slash at two police officers before he was shot with a taser and fell to the ground, and also a brave shopper try to hit him with a trolley
The frenzied attack is believe to have lasted for more than a minute, beginning with Khalif charging at two police officers, punching one through a vehicle window and lunging at them with a knife.
During the attack, the man chased the officers around trees as they tried to avoid his blows and defuse the situation.
As this was happening, the brave onlooker attempted to run the attacker down with a shopping trolley.
The officers then retreated to the other side of the road as the attacker, dressed in a long jacket and grey pants, ominously pursued them as horrified bystanders called on police to shoot him.
The man again attempted to stab and slash at the officers officers several times before he was shot in the neck and fell to the ground. He was quickly arrested on the pavement by two officers.
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have since claimed the attack as their own via their propaganda platform, releasing a statement saying ‘the perpetrator of the operation in Melbourne was an Islamic State fighter and carried out the operation to target nationals of the coalition fighting IS’, Amaq reported, allegedly quoting a jihadist security source.
ISIS have previously claimed responsibility for attacks that were later discovered to be unrelated to the organisation.
Khalif’s 21-year-old brother, Ali Khalif Shire Ali, was arrested in November of 2017 in relation to an alleged foiled terror attack in Federation Square, also in the heart of Melbourne.
Khalif and his family were known to counter-terror agencies at a state and national level and were believed to have ties with north African extremist groups.
His passport was cancelled several years ago after he was flagged as one of 300 potential security risks.
It was also noted police are unable to get in touch with Khalif’s wife, and believe she is both missing and radicalised.
A car has crashed on Melbourne’s Bourke Street Mall and burst into flames
The man was quickly arrested on the pavement by two officers in front of shocked pedestrians who stood back to film it
Photos form the scene showed the Holden Colorado burning on the pavement
Witnesses said the car hit a pedestrian as it mounted the kerb outside Target near the Swanson Street intersection about 4.20pm on Friday
Authorities may be hoping to utilise the state’s preventative detention laws for the first time since they came into effect, in which police are legally allowed to detain a suspect for up to seven days should they believe the person poses a threat or security risk, Herald Sun reported.
Premier Daniel Andrews said the attack was ‘an evil and terrifying thing that’s happened in our state’.
‘Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody touched by this, but we will not be defined by this,’ he said.
Victorian Liberal Party leader Matthew Guy said ‘we must eradicate this sort of thing,’ in a media conference shortly after.
‘Every resource should be going into keeping Victorians safe.’
Police are asking people to avoid the area and said more information would be given when it was available
Another said they heard ‘what sounded like a bomb and gun shot’
The fire was brought under control within about five minutes, a Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokeswoman said