Candice Warner has revealed how she bounced back after the ‘horrific’ period her family went through following her husband David’s infamous ball-tampering scandal.
The former Australian cricket captain, 32, and his retired ironwoman wife, 34, have been through two miscarriages in 15 months since David’s cheating incident in Cape Town in March 2018.
In a brand new interview with Stellar, Candice reflected on the dark period her family faced – saying there were times her husband struggled to even get out of bed.
‘It was a very horrific time’ Candice Warner has opened up about her family’s struggle after her husband David was involved in a now infamous ball tampering scandal
‘Looking back, it was a very horrific time,’ she told the publication. ‘We had two miscarriages. It definitely took a toll on my body. It was heartbreaking. I thought, ‘What more can be taken from me?’
Candice made the decision to be the ‘strength and rock’ for her husband and their two girls – Indi Rae, four, and Ivy Mae, two – after David was hit with a ban from the sport for a year for his role in the ball-tampering ordeal.
Rather than hide away in shame, the model was determined to ‘power on’ through the trauma, and get her husband back into fitness and into a routine.
‘We now know for sure that nothing will ever break us’ Candice (right) says her family are more grateful than ever for everything they have since the scandal. Pictured with David (left) and daughters Ivy Mae (second left) and Indi Rae (second right)
Keeping it positive: Candice decided to look at the brighter aspects of her husband’s ban, in that he got to spend more time with his daughters
She decided to look at the positive aspects of Warner’s ban – in that his doting daughters could have an abundance of ‘daddy time’ with their father.
‘David and I now look at each other and say, “How did we get through that?”,’ she added. ‘But we did. We now know for sure that nothing will ever break us.’
Now, Candice says their lives ‘couldn’t be any better’, adding the family are more grateful than ever before of everything they have.
‘For us, life is about family’ Candice candidly admitted that she became the ‘rock’ for the family during the most difficult times
They’re especially grateful for their newest addition to the family, after welcoming their third child four months ago – a healthy baby girl, named Isla.
‘For us, life is about family and we are so blessed to have three healthy girls. We are a very solid unit. We are a team,’ she added.
David made a stunning return to cricket since the ban was lifted this year.
The batsman became the first to score two 150+ scores in the Cricket World Cup after scoring 166 runs against Bangladesh on June 20.
Cover girl: Candice’s interview is available in this month’s Stellar magazine
Candice previously opened up about her first miscarriage in an interview with the Australian Women’s Weekly in May 2018.
‘The miscarriage was a tragic consequence, a heartbreaking end to a horror tour,’ she told the publication at the time.
‘Like so many families who’ve experience a miscarriage, it’s just really sad,’ she continued.
Miracle baby: Candice and David welcomed their third child four months ago – a healthy baby girl, named Isla (pictured)
‘The entire ordeal from the public humiliations to the ball tampering had taken its toll and, from that moment, we decided nothing will impact our lives like that again.’
David, former Australian captain Steve Smith and player Cameron Bancroft were slapped with bans for conspiring to cheat against South Africa in March 2018 by rubbing the ball with sandpaper.
David’s 12-month ban has since ended and he was selected for Australia’s preliminary squad for this year’s Cricket World Cup.
Scandal: David (pictured), former Australian captain Steve Smith and player Cameron Bancroft were slapped with bans for conspiring to cheat against South Africa in March 2018
He had previously played for Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League’s 2019 season and praised his family for their support during a trip to India in April.
‘Family means the world to me and having them by my side when I do what I love gives me great comfort,’ he said at the time.
Stellar is available in News Corp’s The Sunday Telegraph and Sunday Herald Sun
Back in action! David’s 12-month ban has since ended and he was selected for Australia’s preliminary squad for this year’s Cricket World Cup