Leave off the cream cheese for a simple loaf rather than a cake
There’s nothing more homely than a carrot cake. You can swap half the carrot for courgette if you want to add some more greens into your life. And leave off the cream cheese for a simple loaf rather than a cake.
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 35-40 minutes
150g gluten-free plain flour (if you want to use plain wheat or spelt flour, the recipe works the same; just omit the xanthan gum and use 20g more of the plain wheat flour)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to sprinkle
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
180g butter or coconut oil
1 apple, grated
180g carrots (about 3), grated
100g cream cheese
1 tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6 and line a 20cm loaf tin.
- In a bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix to completely incorporate.
- In a food processor, blend the dates with the eggs. If you don’t have a food processor, finely chop the dates and mix into whisked eggs.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil, add the apple and carrot then stir.
- Mix the apple and carrot into the date and egg mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour into the loaf tin and pop into the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then combine the cream cheese and honey to spread on the top of the cake then sprinkle over a little cinnamon.