News, Culture & Society

Cavoodle nearly dies eating marijuana human poo Melbourne

A dog owner has revealed her shock after her beloved cavoodle Yuri nearly died eating human poo tainted with marijuana.

Melbourne woman Emma took Yuri to North Melbourne Football Oval for his morning walk this week when she said he made a beeline for the hill. 

‘He went straight for a big turd, which normally he’d sniff and move on. But with this one, he ate it,’ she told News.com.au. 

A dog owner has revealed her shock after her beloved cavoodle Yuri (pictured) nearly died eating human poo tainted with marijuana

The Melbourne woman, who did not want her surname disclosed, said she didn’t realise it was human poo, so picked Yuri up and continued walking him through the park. 

She didn’t imagine what he ate could cause him so much harm.  

Within minutes of returning home from the walk, Emma said Yuri’s head started to wobble.

She said his condition very quickly deteriorated. 

‘He started trembling and was sensitive to me – almost like he had lock jaw. It was like he was in another zone,’ she said. 

Emma rushed Yuri to her local veterinarian, who knew what was wrong with him almost immediately. 

'Yuri (pictured) started trembling and was sensitive to me ¿ almost like he had lock jaw. It was like he was in another zone,' his owner Emma said

‘Yuri (pictured) started trembling and was sensitive to me – almost like he had lock jaw. It was like he was in another zone,’ his owner Emma said

Emma rushed Yuri to her local veterinarian, who knew what was wrong with him almost immediately

Emma rushed Yuri to her local veterinarian, who knew what was wrong with him almost immediately

The vet said Yuri had ingested marijuana and was suffering the effects of the drug.

Yuri’s stomach was pumped in an effort to rid him of as much of the substance as possible.

The vet also found marijuana in his urine.

Baffled by his diagnosis, Emma said the poo at the park was the only possible source of the poisoning.

The vet told Emma drugs could be expelled through poo and it was not uncommon.

When Emma went back to the North Melbourne Football Oval to examine the poo, she said she found a bundle of toilet paper discarded next to it. 

‘When I first saw it I thought it was a dog’s, but then looking at it I could see it was human … and apparently there’s something in human poo that dogs are attracted to,’ she said.

Yuri's (pictured) stomach was pumped in an effort to rid him of as much of the substance as possible 

Yuri’s (pictured) stomach was pumped in an effort to rid him of as much of the substance as possible 

Veterinarian Melanie Hill told the publication marijuana poisoning in dogs was not uncommon.

She said dogs were often brought in for emergency treatment after ingesting foods laced with the drug.

While Yuri’s quick decline in health frightened Emma, she said he was on the mend and was thankful she got him expert help when he needed it. 

Emma said she hoped people would refrain from defecating in public in future so other dogs were not subjected to the same ordeal. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.