Bizarre moment a prisoner, 18, opens the door of a police car with his foot and escapes after cops fell ASLEEP at a rest stop in Argentina
- Franco Antonio Alderete escaped early Monday morning while police officers assigned to transfer him to a local court were sleeping inside their pickup truck
- The handcuffed 18-year-old was arrested Saturday in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and held charges of aggravated robbery with the use of a firearm
- He was also charged with illegal possession of a weapon for civilian use
- Alderete was to be transferred from a local police precinct to a courthouse, where its staff would transport him to a penitentiary four hours away
- Officials are investigating whether Alderete escaped due to the cops’ negligence or if they aided him at any point
A prisoner is on the run in Argentina after he escaped from a police car when two cops guarding him fell asleep in the front seat.
Franco Antonio Alderete, 18, was arrested Saturday in the province of Buenos Aires and was being held on charges of aggravated robbery with the use of a firearm and illegal possession of a weapon for civilian use.
A CCTV camera at a courthouse in Banfield, a city in the district of Lomas de Zamora, captured the moment a handcuffed Alderete calmly walked out of the truck without waking up the two police officers at 4:37am local time.
According to local Argentine media reports, Alderete was in the custody of Lieutenant Ángel Rossi and Sergeant Nicolás Cabrera, who were assigned to hand him over to the inmate transport staff at the Lomas de Zamora Court.
The prisoner was then scheduled to be transferred to the Sierra Chica Penitentiary in the municipality Olavarria, a four to five hour drive from the courthouse’s front steps.
A handcuffed Franco Antonio Alderete escaped from the back of a police pickup truck in Argentina early Monday morning while the cops were asleep
Officials in Buenos Aires, Argentina, are probing two police officers who fell asleep and allowed a prisoner to escape from their service vehicle
CCTV camera from a courthouse in Argentina captured the moment a handcuffed Franco Antonio Alderete (pictured) walks out from police pickup truck while the cops slept inside early Monday morning
Footage from the security camera showed Alderete slowly prying the left passenger door open while the police lights were flicking from atop the pickup truck’s roof.
He took a couple of fast paced steps and then took off running before he disappeared from the surveillance camera’s view.
Officials were still investigating to determine if Alderete the escape was caused by the police officers’ neglect or if the cops played a role in the teenager’s escape.
Alderete had not been captured as of Tuesday morning.
Authorities in Buenos Aires, Argentina, have launched a manhunt for an 18-year-old man (right) who was detained Saturday on charges of aggravated robbery with the use of a firearm and illegal possession of a weapon for civilian use. He broke free from a police pickup truck with cops made a stop at a courthouse to arrange his transfer to a penitentiary