News, Culture & Society

CCTV shows Staffordshire woman walking into smoke-filled flat

  • A woman, who was in her 70s, arrived home to a smoke-filled flat in Staffordshire
  • Distressing CCTV footage shows her being overcome by the huge fumes inside
  • Firefighters tried to save her but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene

Harrowing footage shows an elderly woman’s tragic final moments after she stepped inside her smoke-filled flat and was overcome by fumes.

CCTV showed the woman, who was in her 70s, open the door of her ground floor flat before being met by thick smoke which was billowing into the communal hallway.

The video then showed firefighters wearing gas masks break into the property before one of the crew carried the woman’s lifeless body outside.

But despite desperate attempts to resuscitate the woman, she was pronounced dead at the scene in Staffordshire. 

CCTV footage from inside a corridor showed the elderly woman enter her ground floor flat in Staffordshire 

The woman was overwhelmed by fumes from a fire which had started in her property 

The woman was overwhelmed by fumes from a fire which had started in her property 

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service released the 30-second clip to warn about the lethal dangers of entering burning homes as part of the Get Out Stay Out campaign.

Director of Prevent and Protect at the service, Glynn Luznyj, said a person can be overcome by fumes after taking just two to three breaths of smoke.

He said: ‘We’re very thankful that the family have agreed to release this disturbing footage showing their loved one’s last living moments.

‘We hope that this will make people think twice before they investigate a fire or go back inside for any belongings as we don’t want this happening to anyone else.

Firefighters could be seen desperately trying to save the woman's life after they found her inside

Firefighters could be seen desperately trying to save the woman’s life after they found her inside

But they were unable to save her and the woman, who was in her 70s, was pronounced dead at the scene 

But they were unable to save her and the woman, who was in her 70s, was pronounced dead at the scene 

‘That is the aim of our Get Out Stay Out campaign as while the majority of people do the right thing by getting out and staying out.

‘We do unfortunately see some people re-entering burning buildings and they have suffered serious injuries or death as a result.

‘It is really important to call us straight away and stay outside during a fire.’

Advertisement



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.