The former chemistry teacher who accidentally set her student ablaze during a class presentation claimed that she performed the demonstration ‘appropriately.’
Anna Poole appeared at the Manhattan Supreme Court as she spoke publicly for the first time about the burning of Alonzo Yanes in January 2014.
At one point she used props to demonstrate to the court how she would conduct a science experiment that used liquid chemicals.
Yanes was 16 at the time of the accident and was left with burns on 30 percent of his body. He has launched a $27million lawsuit against the Beacon School in Manhattan.
Yanes told the court last week that injuries he suffered from the accident have left him feeling unattractive and as result he has never had sex.
‘The way that I look, it gets in the way too much. I don’t think the scars are very attractive,’ the 21-year-old said.
Poole used props to demonstrate to the court how she would conduct a science experiment that used liquid chemicals
Anna Poole spoke publicly for the first time on the January 2014 burning of Alonzo Yanes while giving testimony on Monday at the Manhattan Supreme Court
Poole was said to be fidgety as she answered questions.
‘In your opinion did you perform the demonstration appropriately?’ Mark Mixson asked, according to the New York Daily News.
‘Yes,’ Poole replied.
Investigators with the Education Department determined soon after the 2014 incident that Poole should not have poured a one-gallon jug of methanol on recently aflame Petri Dishes.
Most of the teacher’s testimony was directed at her experience with safety measures in chemistry classrooms, pushing back on an expert’s claim that her classroom lacked the proper gear.
The teacher even sang ‘Stop, Drop and Roll’ in an effort to show a song she sang a lot for her classroom.
‘I used to sing a lot to my students,’ she said.
Alonzo Yanes was seen in public for the very first time Tuesday after he was hit by a fireball during the 2014 incident at Beacon High School. Alonzo is pictured before the incident left and after right
Poole now works in the Education Department’s central office and instructs teachers how to best practice science and math.
She shared that she dropped out of med school because she determined that her obsessive compulsive disorder would hurt her potential career in neuropsychology.
The educator claimed to have a ‘fear of contamination’ that she said prevented her from touching gas pumps and handling loose change.
‘I decided to become a teacher,’ Poole added. ‘I always liked working with adolescents.’
Poole’s testimony comes a day after principal Ruth Lacey said that she made a ‘mistake.’
Poole’s testimony comes a day after principal Ruth Lacey said that she made a ‘mistake’
Samuella Sigmann, a professor at Appalachian State University, said on Thursday that the ‘Rainbow Experiment’ should never have been conducted.
She said the lack of a fume hood – a ventilated enclosure in a chemistry laboratory, in which harmful volatile chemicals can be used or kept – amounted to ‘willful negligence.’
‘Because they did not have the proper equipment to do it.
‘There was a clear and present hazard and they ignored it.
Samuella Sigmann, a professor at Appalachian State University, said on Thursday that the ‘Rainbow Experiment’ should never have been conducted
Yanes appeared in court last week
‘The risk was very high,’ Sigmann added, the New York Post reported.
Listing a catalogue of failures, Sigmann said that the classroom lacked a fire blanket, shower or eyewash, while Poole herself admitted in the deposition that she had never used a fire extinguisher before.
The court heard that although Poole was wearing goggles, her students were not.
And the teenagers – who should have been at least 8 feet away away from the demonstration table, were also sitting too close, with Yanes just two to three feet away, the expert added.
Images of the horrific injuries sustained by Yanes were shown to jurors Monday.
Images of the horrific injuries sustained by Yanes were shown to jurors Monday