News, Culture & Society

Cheshire girl in hospital after ‘glamping pod’ caught fire

These pictures show the fire-ravaged luxury wooden hot that caught alight with a young woman and her boyfriend trapped inside. 

Lydia Wadsworth, 20, suffered burns to her right arm and ‘severe’ damage to her throat and lungs after the £125-a-night ‘glamping pod’ caught alight.  

The business development manager, from Wigan, had been ‘glamping’ with her boyfriend Rob McDonnell, 24, at the Lady Heyes Caravan and Camping Site in Frodsham, Cheshire, when they became trapped.  

The pair were rescued by members of the public before fire crews arrived at the scene on Saturday to put out the fire. Locals living nearby used a hammer to smash a patio door and drag the pair to safety.

A spokesman for the camp site told MailOnline the fire started because clothes had been left close to a log burner while the couple were sleeping, although this has been disputed by the family.

A spokesperson for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘It was a well-developed and very smoky fire.’ They also said the fire was caused by clothes being left too close to a log burner.

Hundreds of messages of support have poured in for Miss Wadsworth as she recovers in hospital

Lydia Wadsworth, 20, had been staying with her boyfriend Rob McDonnell, 24 (pictured together) when their 'glamping pod' caught fire

Lydia Wadsworth, 20, had been staying with her boyfriend Rob McDonnell, 24 (pictured together) when their ‘glamping pod’ caught fire

The couple had been away on a romantic weekend when the ‘glamping pod’ caught alight on Saturday evening at around 11.35pm, when clothes close to the burner set alight. 

It is thought the fire then spread to curtains covering the patio doors.

After being pulled from the burning pod, the couple were taken to a specialist unit at Whiston Hospital, Prescot, Merseyside, where they are currently being treated in intensive care.

Miss Wadsworth remains in a critical condition while Mr McDonnell was also taken to hospital with smoke inhalation and he is still sedated in hospital. 

Speaking outside her house today Mr McDonnell’s mother Louise, 48, said: ‘He is in a bad way and is still sedated in hospital. 

She said the couple, who had been dating a few months, were lucky to be alive. 

‘They were trapped. The only fire escape was by the front door which was right by the wood burner. They couldn’t get out because of the flames’, she said. 

‘Lydia was screaming and screaming for help. Luckily, there was a girl in a garden nearby, she got her dad who ran over to help. He smashed a window with a hammer and dragged Lydia out, then went back in for Rob. It doesn’t bear thinking about what could have happened.’

The 20-year-old became stuck in the 'glamping pod' (pictured) which costs £100 a night

The 20-year-old became stuck in the ‘glamping pod’ (pictured) which costs £100 a night

A message on Miss Wadsworth’s behalf was posted by her family on her Facebook page.

It read: ‘Just to let you all know Lydia is currently be nursed in Critical Care at Whiston Hospital following being trapped in a fire in a Glamping Pod.

‘She can’t speak as she has a ventilation pipe which blocks her voice box, however she has written to ask if we’d write a message to her friends and family thanking them for their kind wishes at such a difficult time.

‘She has 7% burns to her right arm and severe damage to her respiratory system but is making positive progress which is what we are trying to focus on.

‘The nursing team here are outstanding and we cannot praise them enough for their efforts since she’s been admitted.

‘Thanks again for all your well wishes, both ourselves and Lydia really appreciate them. Love Lydia and family xXx’ 

Miss Wadsworth and her boyfriend Mr McDonnell, 24, had to be rescued from their 'glamping pod' at the camp site (pictured)

Miss Wadsworth and her boyfriend Mr McDonnell, 24, had to be rescued from their ‘glamping pod’ at the camp site (pictured)

Hundreds of messages of support have poured in for the ‘beautiful girl’ as she recovers in hospital.

Leila Gibbons wrote: ‘I couldn’t be prouder of how strong you have been so far, with you every single step of the way all of you. PS you looked as beautiful as ever today, I love you forever my bestie.’

Rosie Mae added: ‘OMG Lydia I’m so shocked an saddened to here this. Thinking of you and praying you make a speedy recovery. All my love xxxxxx’

Lauren Brierley wrote: ‘Lydia, you sure know how to give us all a fright. So worried about you, but so, so glad to hear you’re making progress. Love you so, so much. You show ’em how it’s done, girl.

‘What a strong, unbelievable brave lady you are. God speed, doll. God speed xxxxxxxxxx’  

Miss Wadsworth is in critical care after being trapped inside a glamping pod which caught fire

Miss Wadsworth is in critical care after being trapped inside a glamping pod which caught fire

Miss Wadsworth is in critical care after being trapped inside a glamping pod which caught fire

Fire crews were at the scene for one hour and 50 minutes after the pair were rescued from the 'glamping pod' at the Lady Heyes Caravan and Camping site

Fire crews were at the scene for one hour and 50 minutes after the pair were rescued from the ‘glamping pod’ at the Lady Heyes Caravan and Camping site

A spokesperson for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service wrote: ‘Fire crews were called to a fire in a camping pod at the Lady Heyes Caravan and Camping Site on Kingsley Road, Kingsley.

‘Firefighters, two wearing breathing apparatus, used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

‘Two people who were inside the pod were rescued by members of the public prior to the arrival of the fire crews.

‘One male, suffering from smoke inhalation, and one female, suffering from burns, were taken to hospital by paramedics.

‘Crews were at the scene for one hour and 50 minutes.’

They added that the fire was caused by clothes being left too close to a log burner and it then spread to furniture inside the ‘pod’. 

‘It was a well-developed and very smoky fire’, he added. ‘When crews arrived both people were out of the pod.’  

According to the Lady Heyes Caravan and Camping website the pods are ‘furnished to the highest standards’ and ‘designed for a peaceful getaway’. 

They include furniture, flat screen TVS, private picnic and BBQ areas and hot tubs. 

A spokesman for Lady Heyes Touring Caravan Park told MailOnline the fire had been caused by a jacket being left on a log burner overnight. This was later denied by relatives.

 

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.