Chilling warning for tourists returning to Bali after two years of Covid border closures – as quarantine is SCRAPPED for fully-vaxxed Australians
- Australians have been warned about the temptations of cheap drinks in Bali
- Fears some venues will sell bootleg liquor after two year closure from pandemic
- Cocktails or spirits can be laced with methanol, which can be deadly for some
- In 2013, Perth teenager Liam Davies died from methanol poisoning in Bali
- Western Australian resident Colin Ahearn warns people to be careful online
Australians returning to Bali as the island re-opens to tourists after two years of Covid border closures have been warned their cheap drinks could come with deadly side effects.
Western Australian Colin Ahearn said travellers to the Indonesian island should be wary of spirits bought on the island, as they could be laced with methanol.
Methanol is a normal byproduct of distillation, but low-cost manufacturing processes can lead to the harmful chemical being left behind in alcoholic drinks.
In January 2013, Perth teenager Liam Davies died on Indonesian party island Gili Trawangan after drinking what he believed were imported vodka-lime mixers.
Australians are returning to Bali this month as the island re-opens to tourists after two years of Covid border closures
Indonesia, and especially Bali, has been severely impacted by the pandemic’s impact on global tourism. Pictured is file image of a young tourist on Bali
Liam Davies died on party island Gili Trawangan after drinking what he believed were imported vodka-lime mixes
Mr Ahearn has created a Facebook page to warn holidaymakers they could die if they buy spirits on the island.
He fears some venues won’t be to afford genuine liquor after being crippled by the Covid pandemic over the past two years.
‘My fear is people are going to go back there like it’s their first time in Bali,’ Mr Ahearn said on his page.
‘Cocktails are going to be cheap and they’re going to get on the p*** like it’s their first time they’ve ever drunk and they’re going to end up dead.’
Methanol poisoning can occur when tourist bars cut costs and introduce bootleg liquors.
Symptoms include drowsiness and vomiting, and victims may become unsteady on their feet.
Mr Ahearn recommends buying duty-free spirits at the airport or pre-sealed mixers.
Since the death of Liam Davies in Bali in 2013, Perth man Colin Ahearn (pictured) has been spreading the message to not drink spirits on the island
Indonesia, and especially Bali, has been severely impacted by the pandemic as the island nation’s economy relies heavily on tourism dollars.
More than 70 per cent of Balinese residents work in tourism. The industry accounts for 52 per cent of the island’s GDP.
At least 90 per cent of tourism-related businesses and restaurants at the island have shut their doors due to the miniscule number of international arrivals over the past two years.
Just 45 overseas visitors reportedly holidayed at the island in 2021, with many resorts closing during the pandemic either for good or to renovate.
Australians can also now travel quarantine free to Bali as long as they are fully vaccinated – it follows a highly anticipated announcement from the Indonesian government on March 7.
Methanol poisoning and how to avoid it while overseas:
– Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, amnesia and drowsiness, and can start immediately
– A 600ml plastic bag of Arak costs less than $5 in Bali
– Stick to beer, wine, cider and premixed drinks as methanol is only found in fake or illegally imported spirits
– Steer clear of bars and clubs in dodgy neighbourhoods, and never order cocktails
– Buy spirits duty-free at the airport
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk