- Chris Tarrant was in his local pub in Bucklebury, Berkshire, before he drove home
- Police received a tip-off from someone upset about his plans to extend his house
- He was then pulled over, charged with drink-driving and has appeared in court
Chris Tarrant (pictured) was pulled over when he left his local pub in Berkshire
Former Who Wants to Be a Millionaire host Chris Tarrant has appeared in court charged with drink-driving following a tip-off to police.
The 71-year-old television and radio broadcaster was driving home from his local pub in his £60,000 Mercedes when he was pulled over.
He was reportedly approached by officers in Bucklebury, near Reading, Berkshire, after a local was unhappy about his plans to extend his £2million home.
According to The Sun, the local phoned 999 as Tarrant left the Bladebone Inn and he had 50mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath – 15mcg more than the legal limit.
Tarrant, who presented the hit ITV quiz show from 1998 to 2014, appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court on December 18.
A source told the newspaper that he is ‘taking legal advice’ and is due to reappear in court on January 18.
Locals in the village said he missed a carol service on the day he was due in court.
The dispute with a local resident began because Tarrant has already extended his mansion after he bought it in 2004 for £1million.
A police spokesman told The Sun: ‘Chris Tarrant was charged with driving above the limit.
‘He appeared before magistrates on December 18.’
A local is said to have phoned the police after the former gameshow host submitted plans to extend his home
The 71-year-old had been at the Bladebone Inn in Bucklebury, Berkshire, before he drove his £60,000 Mercedes
Last year planners rejected Tarrant’s controversial proposals which would have seen his seven-bedroom mansion extended for a second time.
He wanted to build a two-storey extension which would have turned the property into a nine-bedroom home.
Neighbours in Bucklebury, which is the Duchess of Cambridge’s home village, objected to the bid.
Council chiefs discussed the application but turned it down because Tarrant, who suffered a mini stroke in 2014, had already extended the house as far as planning guidelines allow.
The leader of Bucklebury Parish Council, Wynne Frankum, said locals objected to the plans because of planning guidelines and because the house is in a beauty spot.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.