Friends of alleged rape victim reveal their next step in their fight against Christian Porter – and claim ‘this is just the tip of the iceberg’ for the Morrison Government
- Friends of an alleged rape victim will put more pressure on Morrison government
- Christian Porter vehemently denied historical allegations on Wednesday
- Alleged sexual assault occurred in 1988 when he was 17 and the woman was 16
- Woman went to police last year but withdrew complaint before dying by suicide
The friends of an alleged rape victim have revealed it is just the ‘tip of the iceberg’ in their fight against Attorney-General Christian Porter.
An emotional Mr Porter fronted the nation on Wednesday to confirm he was the unnamed cabinet minister that sexual assault allegations were levelled against.
Mr Porter strongly denied the claims and said he never had any form of sexual relationship with the woman, whom he said he knew briefly when they were both teenagers 33 years ago.
The alleged sexual assault occurred in 1988 when he was 17 and the woman was 16, while both were in Sydney for a debating competition.
Christian Porter (pictured with estranged wife Jennifer) fronted the media on Wednesday afternoon to confirm he was the unnamed cabinet minister that sexual assault allegations were levelled against
She went to police last year but withdrew the complaint before taking her own life in June.
Friends of the alleged victim have pledged that Mr Porter’s tearful press conference will not stop them from pressing forward with the allegations.
A man, who was friends with the woman for 30 years and was in close contact with her right up to her death, said the pressure on the Morrison government would only increase.
‘I implore the government to understand that the pressure will only go up and not down and that this is not the iceberg, this is only the tip of the iceberg,’ he told The Australian.
Labor and the Greens argue the issue is not resolved and have urged the prime minister to take further action with an inquiry.
The alleged sexual assault occurred in 1988 when he was 17 and the woman was 16, while both were in Sydney for a debating competition
Mr Porter is expected to be on stress leave for about two weeks, but has stated he won’t quit after vehemently denying the allegations.
NSW Police closed an investigation into the matter because of a lack of admissible evidence.
‘The matter is at an end because the police have spoken,’ Mr Frydenberg told Sky News on Thursday.
‘It’s the police whose judgement and whose decision is the most important here.’
The deputy Liberal leader rejected calls for an investigation to review the historical allegations, saying Mr Porter’s critics will never be satisfied.
‘Christian Porter has emphatically denied the events and he’s entitled to the presumption of innocence,’ Mr Frydenberg said.
Mr Porter declared the allegations ‘just didn’t happen’.
‘Could I have forgotten or misconstrued the things that I have read, which are said to have occurred? Absolutely not.’