News, Culture & Society

Claudia Winkleman shuns fancy dress during Halloween show

Strictly Come Dancing host Claudia Winkleman and her co-host Tess Daly shunned fancy dress during the show’s Halloween special on Saturday night. 

The 45-year-old presenter’s decision to not dress up comes three years after her then eight-year-old daughter’s witch Halloween costume caught fire leaving her with severe burns on her leg.

Since the ‘life-changing’ accident, Claudia has become a staunch campaigner for safety and regulations around the Halloween period and quality control on the materials used and flammable nature of outfits. 

 

Simple looks: Strictly Come Dancing host Claudia Winkleman and her co-star Tess Daly shunned fancy dress during the show’s Halloween special on Saturday night

Claudia suffered every parent’s worst nightmare when her young daughter was burned in a horrific Halloween accident in 2014.

As the Strictly live show got off to a typically flamboyant start, the entire cast of the show were clad in fancy dress save for Claudia and Tess, who were possibly paying respect to the campaign against unsafe costumes, 

MailOnline has contacted representatives for Claudia, Tess and Strictly for comment.  Nearly three years on, Claudia admitted that she is still haunted by her daughter Matilda’s screams after her Halloween costume caught fire, and that life will never be the same. 

The star relived the agonising moment of the accident, saying: ‘I don’t like Halloween because three years ago it turned out our screams were real. She “went up” is the only way I can describe it – it was a spark, and she screamed out for me.

Low-key: The 45-year-old presenter's decision to not dress up comes three years after her then eight-year-old daughter's Halloween costume caught fire leaving her with severe burns on her leg after her witch outfit caught fire

Low-key: The 45-year-old presenter’s decision to not dress up comes three years after her then eight-year-old daughter’s Halloween costume caught fire leaving her with severe burns on her leg after her witch outfit caught fire

Horrifying: 'It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and they come back. It was really fast. It was definitely life-changing for me'

Horrifying: ‘It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and they come back. It was really fast. It was definitely life-changing for me’

‘It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and they come back. It was really fast. It was definitely life-changing for me.’

Claudia went on to say that she couldn’t remember life before the accident, and that she wished she had been the one ‘dressed up like a witch’.

Since the accident the beloved star has called on parents to make sure that they check the safety and quality of children’s’ costumes, so that other youngsters don’t suffer in the same way.

A change of scene: The judges however opted to dress up in an array of spooky enembles

A change of scene: The judges however opted to dress up in an array of spooky enembles

Emotional: Since the 'life-changing' accident, Claudia has become a staunch campaigner for safety and regulations around the Halloween period and quality control on the materials use and flammable nature of outfits

Emotional: Since the ‘life-changing’ accident, Claudia has become a staunch campaigner for safety and regulations around the Halloween period and quality control on the materials use and flammable nature of outfits

The terrifying ordeal took place while the family were ‘trick or treating’ with friends in west London, two years ago.

Claudia said: ‘I was talking to somebody and then I heard her shout and she was on fire. It feels like she was on fire for hours, but the surgeon said it was probably just seconds.’

The star shares Matilda with husband of 17 years Chris Thykier. She also has sons Jake, 13 and Arthur, six. 

In an interview with the BBC’s Watchdog programme in 2015, she spoke about the incident for the first time, explaining that the accident had been ‘life changing’ for both her and her daughter, adding: ‘I can’t remember life before it.’

Terrifying: The ordeal took place while the family were 'trick or treating' with friends in west London, two years ago. Claudia raises Matilda with husband of 17 years Chris Thykier and the couple also have sons Jake, 13 and Arthur, six

Terrifying: The ordeal took place while the family were ‘trick or treating’ with friends in west London, two years ago. Claudia raises Matilda with husband of 17 years Chris Thykier and the couple also have sons Jake, 13 and Arthur, six

She called on parents to be vigilant about what materials they allow their children to wear and to avoid flammable fabrics, saying: ‘I didn’t, and it cost us.’ Claudia spoke of her regret at putting Matilda in the supermarket-bought witch costume of hat, cape, stripey tights and a flowing skirt. 

The outfit caught alight after touching an open flame and burned so fiercely that neighbour Jamie Poulton suffered second degree burns while putting it out with his bare hands. Matilda had severe burns, particularly to one leg.

The TV presenter said: ‘I was talking to somebody and then I heard her shout and she was on fire. It feels like she was on fire for hours, but the surgeon said it was probably just seconds.

‘She went up is the only way I know how to describe it – it was a spark and she screamed out for me.

‘It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and they come back. It was really fast, it was fast, it wasn’t fire like I’d seen.’ 

Advice: Since the accident the brunette beauty has called on parents to make sure that they check the safety and quality of childrens' costumes, so that other youngsters don't suffer in the same way

Advice: Since the accident the brunette beauty has called on parents to make sure that they check the safety and quality of childrens’ costumes, so that other youngsters don’t suffer in the same way

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.