The company looking for MH370 will search one more spot before calling off the hunt and returning home.
Ocean Infinity has been scouring the ocean since January for the missing Malaysian Airlines plane that vanished on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board.
The Malaysian Government, which offered $70 million if it found the Boeing 777 or its black box, on Monday abandoned the search after no success.
The latest search for MH370 is being conducted by U.S. firm Ocean Infinity (pictured), which was offered US$70million if it found the plane during a 90-day search
Malaysia’s Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said on Wednesday the search could resume if new evidence comes to light
But the firm said its Seabed Constructor ship would make one more stop in the southern Indian Ocean on its way back.
The last-ditch effort will examine a spot where a Chinese patrol ship detected an ultrasonic pulse in 2014 that could have been from the black box.
Ocean Infinity told The Guardian it wanted to check the area out for itself ‘before we head to port and bring this search to a close’.
The vessel will spend at least two days surveying the area 25 degrees south and 101 degrees east, but still within the original 112,000sqkm search zone.
It will use its eight autonomous drones equipped with sonars and cameras, able to operate at depths up to 6,000 metres.
The Chinese ship picked up a pulse with a frequency of 37.5kHz, which is the same as emitted from an airline black box.
Boeing 777 Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 flies over Polish airspace on February 5, 2014
The private search came after an Australian-led hunt, which covered a vast area of the southern Indian Ocean and was the most expensive in aviation history, was suspended last year.
Malaysian premier Mahathir Mohamad said the government had no plans at the moment to resume the hunt after Ocean Infinity’s search ended.
‘We have come to a stage where we cannot keep searching for something we cannot find,’ he told a press conference.
‘We understand the feelings of the relatives but we cannot allow the search to go on forever. If we find any new information, we may resume the search.’
Pilots called on the Chinese Government to pick up where the search left off, claiming everyone spent four years searching in the wrong place.
Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke (left) and MH370 Response Team leader Azharuddin Abdul Rahman (right) at a press conference on Wednesday
Byron Bailey, who flew for Emirates out of Dubai for 15 years, claims the plane could have been found years ago if they listened.
He said that search was 1,200km north of where he and other aviators believed the plane was likely ditched by pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah.
They should have instead focused on a 4,000sqkm area about 130km south of where the airline ran out of fuel, which he believes the plane is in.
‘If they search there, I think there’s a 90 per cent chance they’ll find it,’ he said.
Paper planes bearing solidarity messages for passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 are seen during a memorial event in Kuala Lumpur in March