News, Culture & Society

CONCACAF reveal they are open to holding the World Cup every two years

CONCACAF reveal they ARE open to holding the World Cup every two years despite Arsene Wenger’s proposal being met with criticism… and after Aleksander Ceferin warned European nations may stage a boycott

  • CONCACAF have revealed they would be open to a World Cup every two years 
  • They say they recognise the merits of a new calendar and a balanced structure 
  • FIFA’s congress voted to carry out a study on the feasibility of a biennial event 
  • Arsene Wenger has pushed for the proposal, which has been heavily criticised 


The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) said on Monday it was open to the idea of a biennial World Cup, provided that it creates a more balanced structure for the game globally. 

CONCACAF said it recognised the merits of creating a new football calendar if it meant fewer international windows, less travel for players and more competitive games instead of friendlies. 

FIFA’s congress voted to carry out a feasibility study on holding the men’s and women’s World Cups every two years, a proposal which has been met with opposition, but CONCACAF has asked for wider consultation with stakeholders. 

CONCACAF have revealed they would be open to staging the World Cup every two years

Arsene Wenger, now the chief of global football development at FIFA, has pushed for the idea

Arsene Wenger, now the chief of global football development at FIFA, has pushed for the idea

‘We will continue to look at these proposals constructively, with an open mind, and in the spirit of positive engagement,’ CONCACAF said in a statement.

‘While CONCACAF’s immediate focus is on its own region, we also believe in the importance of being part of the global football family and we will listen to the views of football stakeholders in all parts of the world. 

‘We encourage not only our fellow Confederations but also all members of the global football family to come together and work collaboratively to create FIFA calendars and competitions that have benefits for the development of the game in all regions across the world.’ 

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has warned European nations could boycott the World Cup

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has warned European nations could boycott the World Cup

Last week, the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) criticised the proposal, saying it was ‘highly unviable’ and would overwhelm the football calendar. 

European football’s governing body UEFA also rejected the idea. 

Its president Aleksander Ceferin warned that European nations could boycott the World Cup if FIFA’s plans to make the event biennial go ahead. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk