Conor Benn’s legal team has produced a 270-page document to the World Boxing Council in order to prove his innocence after his highly-anticipated bout with Chris Eubank Jr was cancelled due to two failed drugs tests.
The 26-year-old failed two tests, from the WBC and the Boxing Board of Control after both tests showed evidence of the banned substance clomifene.
Sportsmail‘s Riath Al-Samarrai initially broke the story of Benn’s failed test on October 6, and Benn took to social media earlier in December to break his silence on the ongoing investigation into his positive tests.
Conor Benn’s legal team have sent a 270-page document to the World Boxing Council to prove his innocence after his bout with Chris Eubank Jr was cancelled due to two failed drugs tests
Sportsmail‘s Riath Al-Samarrai broke the exclusive of Benn’s positive drugs test on October 6
Benn has surrendered his license to the British Boxing Board of Control who have their own investigation with UK Anti-Doping, after his fight against Eubank Jr (above) was called off
The fight with Eubank was cancelled, before the welterweight turned over his license to the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC), which has an ongoing investigation into the positive tests separate from that of the WBC.
The WBC’s verdict was expected at the end of December, but with the mammoth document now submitted, it is unclear whether that decision will come at a later date.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman told the Telegraph: ‘We have the document which is 270 pages long. We have just received it a couple of days ago and it will take some time to complete our investigation, but we are addressing it as we speak.
Benn’s highly-anticipated welterweight clash with Chris Eubank Jr was called off in October
‘We have a special committee with experts in different areas that will go through it and will make the full investigation.
‘I’m not going to go into details. The WBC has a full committee overlooking and addressing this specific topic and we want this to be resolved as soon as possible.
‘I expected this to be finished by the end of December but it’s 270 pages and there are many different things that have to be addressed so I don’t know how long it’s going to take.’
‘But let me be clear, this matter is only and exclusively for the WBC, it has nothing to do with the Boxing Board [investigation] and UKAD.
‘I don’t know if he’s suspended or not, this is only regarding where the boxer stands with the WBC test and whether he is ranked with us. We are doing our own protocol for the WBC exclusively.’
The 26-year-old admitted to failed tests in July, with the WBC, and September, with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association, with both returning evidence of the banned substance.
Benn’s promoter Eddie Hearn recently said the finding would ‘surprise’ a lot of people
Clomifene is a women’s fertility drug which is classified under hormone and metabolic regulators and can increase testosterone in men.
Benn has maintained his innocence ever since the news broke. However, he has refrained from speaking publicly due to the ongoing investigation. His promoter Eddie Hearn has also abstained from speaking in detail about the situation.
However, Benn has taken to social media to speak about the situation. He discussed the impact it was having on his mental health and pleaded his innocence.
The statement read: ‘I want to start by saying this has been a very difficult time – not just for me, but my family and my team. I couldn’t have got through this without the love and support of those closest to me and my supporters who have stood by me, I am forever grateful.
Benn’s failed tests led to his grudge match with Chris Eubank Jr being cancelled at late notice
‘My team and I have worked extremely hard over the past seven years to make me the fighter I am today, we have never cut corners or cheated the grind in any way. We believe in work ethic, determination and pure heart to achieve what we have set out to accomplish.
‘It’s been really hard for me to accept that people think that I would do what I was accused of but what I’ve come to realise is people rush to judgement, without knowing the facts especially people in the boxing community (and, most disappointingly, even those that know me).
‘Although I’ve kept away from social media, I’m well aware of those who have thrown dirt on my name. I’ll forgive but I won’t forget.
‘Tony Sims has had a clean gym for 26 years, I respect the gym. No one is bigger than the gym! Hard work and dedication is what we stand for. We don’t condone cheating or cutting corners.
‘I’m thankful to my dad who has been with me through this whole period and I’m glad this nightmare is coming to an end for the sake of our combined mental health.
‘Never did we think we’d go through something like this but they say the hardest fight is life and the adversity it brings. I want to make up for lost time and not let another moment go to waste.
‘Boxing is my life. I’ve been through hardships in my career before but nothing like this, I believe in life you go through adversity of all kinds but what matters most is how you respond.
‘I’ve stayed in the gym and continued to work extremely hard, staying positive that my innocence will be proven and the truth will come out.
‘My team has proven my innocence and the truth will soon come out. Until then, I won’t be commenting further due to confidentiality.
Benn claimed in his social media post that he does not ‘condone cheating or cutting corners’
‘There were times I feared it never would but we all had faith. I’m thankful to everyone who has supported me through this tough time. tough times don’t last, tough people do. We keep it moving and will continue to chase the end goal of being world champion – it’s a minor setback for a major comeback.
‘For now, I am looking forward to sharing Christmas privately with my family and I will be back in January. See you all in 2023, the year I become world champion!’
And his promoter Hearn may not have spoken publicly about the investigation, but he clearly has full faith in his fighter’s innocence.
The infamous promoter recently told iD Boxing: ‘I can’t wait because I think a lot of people will be surprised by what’s about to come out about Conor Benn.
He went on to claim that 2023 will be the year that sees him become world champion
‘I think he’s going to be fighting sooner than you think. If he does receive a ban, which from the information that we have, I don’t think it’s necessarily it’s fair.
‘But if it is, I don’t think it’s going to be a long ban at all. I don’t want to be too cocksure, but I think it’s going to be really interesting about what comes out here.
‘I think there’s a very good chance that he won’t be receiving a ban. Again, I can’t say too much, but that information. This is an independent [investigation].
‘This is a legal system that is being rolled through people with all the news and facts. In my opinion, from what I’ve seen, if there is a ban, it cannot be a sizable ban from the facts that will be produced.’