News, Culture & Society

Convicted child sex offender and Opera Australia are sued for rape of 14-year-old girl

Convicted child sex offender and Opera Australia are sued for the rape of a 14-year-old girl who was a member of the children’s chorus

  • Opera tenor David Lewis targeted a vulnerable teenage girl in the mid-1990s
  • Supreme Court heard he groomed the girl, was later jailed for multiple offences
  • Sydney based Lewis also failed to declare the proceeds of a house when jailed

A convicted child sex offender as well as Opera Australia are being sued for the historical sexual abuse of a 14-year-old girl.

David Lewis served two years in jail from 2018 for two counts of sex with the girl aged between 10 and 16 in the mid-1990s when he was 34.

He was released in December and is now being sued along with Australia’s premier opera company for the sexual abuse of the former member of the children’s choir.

Now aged in her early 40s, the woman was either 14 or 15 when opera tenor Lewis took her under his wing.

Convicted child sex offender David Lewis is being sued for the historical sexual abuse of a minor in Sydney

The former tenor singer served two years in jail from 2018 for two counts of sexual intercourse with a person aged between 10 and 16 - the offending was in the mid-1990s

The former tenor singer served two years in jail from 2018 for two counts of sexual intercourse with a person aged between 10 and 16 – the offending was in the mid-1990s

After she opened up about her harrowing childhood, Lewis groomed and sexually abused her, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

The Supreme Court heard the first time Lewis touched the teenager, he put his hand inside her underwear and molested her during a live performance.

On another occasion, the production’s dance captain witnessed the depraved Lewis receiving oral sex from the teenager in a stairwell at the Sydney Opera House.  

Once caught red-handed in the compromising position, Lewis left the scene in such a hurry he left his shoes behind, the court heard.

The crew member told the the chorus master what he saw, and Opera Australia soon after hired a professional childminder.

The childminder was told to ‘keep the children away from the adults and the adults away from the children’.

As a result, Opera Australia is being sued for breaching its duty of care to the now young woman.

The organisation also failed to keep any records on file about allegations of Lewis’ actions from victims during his time with the company, the lawsuit alleged.

Last week Justice Christine Adamson ordered Lewis to disclose all of his assets. 

Opera Australia is being sued alongside former tenor David Lewis for the sexual abuse of a former member of the children’s choir (pictured the Sydney Opera House

Opera Australia is being sued alongside former tenor David Lewis for the sexual abuse of a former member of the children’s choir (pictured the Sydney Opera House

The court heard he had $10,000 in savings, superannuation worth close to $75,000, a car valued at $12,000, a $5,000 camera and a $2,500 wine collection.

But Lewis failed to inform the court about the $500,000 he had received as his share of his matrimonial home which was sold in November 2018 when he was behind bars. 

Lewis was ordered to disclose all of his assets, including his share of the proceeds from the sale of his Lewisham home, in Sydney’s inner-west.

The matter will return to court on July 15.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk