Queensland is set to ban MORE Sydneysiders from the state amid growing concern about a potential second wave of COVID-19
- Fears Queensland could declare more hotspots and deny entry to more people
- Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she’s looking at blacklisting more NSW areas
- Queensland has just two active COVID-19 cases while NSW has 96 active cases
- Tight border controls have resulted in hundreds of people being sent packing
- Two women were caught trying to smuggle a man into Queensland in their boot
Growing concern over an emerging second wave of COVID-19 in NSW could result in Queensland declaring more hotspots and denying entry to more people from the state.
Queensland has just two active COVID-19 cases while 96 people are being treated for the virus across NSW.
Melbourne is in lockdown with face maks in public to become mandatory from 11.59pm on Wednesday.
Queensland has declared the whole state of Victoria a hotspot, as well as the Liverpool and Campbelltown areas near a popular pub in southwestern Sydney which is linked to about 50 cases.
Growing concern over an emerging second wave of COVID-19 in NSW could result in Queensland declaring more hotspots and denying entry to more people from the state
Pictured: A map showing coronavirus cases recorded since July 1. South-west Sydney has been hit the hardest. The areas seen in the lightest shade of red have record one case in the past three weeks. The city’s inner west, eastern suburbs and northern beaches have so far remained unscathed
Pictured: A map shows Sydney’s coronavirus hotspot sites
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says her government is looking at blacklisting even more areas in NSW.
‘I had a preliminary discussion yesterday with the deputy premier and also the chief health officer,’ she told reporters on Tuesday.
‘We’re going to look at what happens in NSW today, but we are considering adding further hotspots at this stage,’ she said.
The placement of checkpoints along the Queensland-NSW border remains a sore point for both premiers, with neither prepared to concede ground.
Ms Palaszczuk wants the border moved south to the Tweed River to resolve traffic congestion in Tweed Heads and Coolangatta where locals have been blocked in their driveways.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says her government is looking at blacklisting even more areas in NSW
Queensland has just two active COVID-19 cases while 96 people are being treated for the virus across NSW. Pictured: A shopper is seen wearing a face mask while walking through Pitt Street Mall in Sydney
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says, if anything, checkpoints should move further into Queensland.
Tight border controls have resulted in hundreds of people being sent packing, including a man who hid in a car boot.
Two women were caught trying to smuggle the man into Queensland in a scene reminiscent of an East German making a break for freedom beyond the Berlin Wall.
The vehicle was stopped just after dark on Sunday at Wallangarra, in the Southern Downs, and police found the 41-year-old man hiding in the rear.
He was fined $4003 for attempting to enter Queensland without a Border Declaration Pass and denied entry while the women, aged 28 and 29, were also refused entry.
NSW ACTIVE COVID-19 CASES
SYDNEY’S SOUTH WEST
Carnes Hill, Cecil Hills: 11
Casula, Chipping Norton: 8
Bossley Park, Prairiewood, Abbotsbury: 3
Catherine Fields: 1
Currans Hill, Mount Annan: 1
Baulkham Hills: 3
Katoomba, Leura: 4
Winmalee, Springwood: 1
Constitution Hill: 3
Blacktown, Arndell Park: 2
Oatlands, Dundas: 1
Erskine Park: 1
Glenmore Park: 1
Emu Plains, Emu Heights, Jamison: 1
Lugarno, Peakhurst, Riverwood: 2
Engadine, Heathcote, Waterfall: 1
Beverley Park: 1
Allawah, Carlton: 1
Grays Point: 1
Lake Illawarra: 1
Batemans Bay: 4