News, Culture & Society

Coronavirus France: Cannes Film Festival POSTPONED

BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend

 

It was announced on Friday that BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend, which was due to take place in Dundee over the late May bank holiday (22– 24 May), had been cancelled.

The annual event was set to see Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Calvin Harris and Camila Cabello perform in the Scottish city. 

A spokesperson said: ‘After careful consideration we have come to the decision that Radio 1’s Big Weekend 2020 in Dundee will not go ahead. 

‘This decision has been made in conjunction with our event partners, in line with the advice from the Scottish government, and while we know fans looking forward to purchasing tickets will be disappointed, it is important that we prioritise the health and safety of all those involved.’ 

Edinburgh International Festival 

The Edinburgh International Festival has announced that it is cancelling all its launch events, due to take place from 18 to 25 of March, in response to the coronavirus pandemic. 

The festival, which was set to run in both Edinburgh and London, will instead broadcast a live digital event on its Facebook page on the 18 March at 12pm where viewers can ask questions to the programming team.   

Festival Director Fergus Linehan said: ‘In light of the current Coronavirus outbreak, we will cancel all gatherings associated with our 2020 programme launch. Prioritising the wellbeing of our city, our audiences and artists, all launch events will shift online to an interactive format. 

 

‘At this point, the Festival is almost five months away. For now we remain committed to running the International Festival as planned. In hope that the pandemic will be curbed by August, we must continue to provide security for our artists and for our sector. 

‘We hope that in August, our Festival will provide a much-needed moment of joy after what will have been a challenging summer. To reassure our audiences, we have also revised our refunds policy to offer anyone with Coronavirus-related concerns a ticket refund.’ 

The 2020 programme will be announced next week with the actual festival taking place from 7-31 of August in Edinburgh. 

Glastonbury 

200,000 people have been left disappointed after Glastonbury founders Emily and Michael Eavis announced they would be postponing the festival. 

The decision to axe the event was made before 1 April, when festival-goers were due to pay the remaining balance of their £270 tickets. 

Tickets will be rolled over until June 2021, with the option to request a refund.   

Glastonbury bosses said: ‘We are so sorry to announce this, but Glastonbury 2020 will have to be cancelled, and this will be an enforced fallow year for the Festival.

‘Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week – and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty – this is now our only viable option.

‘We very much hope that the situation in the UK will have improved by the end of June. 

‘But even if it has, we are no longer able to spend the next three months here with the thousands of crew here on the farm, helping us with the enormous job of building the infrastructure and attractions to welcome more than 200,000 people to a temporary city in these fields.’ 

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk