News, Culture & Society

Coronavirus US: Authorities stop NY sex party with 30 people

New York authorities reportedly broke up a sex party last week as part of their continued crackdown on large gatherings amid the COVID-19 pandemic.  

ABC News reports that police officers discovered around three dozen residents at a sex party in Midtown Manhattan on July 24.

The suspected event organizer is reportedly expected to appear in court soon. Details about the alleged party, including how it came together, have not been disclosed.

Law enforcement in New York City have continued to crackdown on large gatherings that violate COVID-19 public health orders. Pictured: An outdoor dining area is seen as the city continues Phase 4 of re-opening following restrictions imposed to slow the spread of coronavirus

Event companies trying to secretly bypass public health orders have used Telegram and Whatsapp to share information about pop-up parties. 

Organizers reportedly urged people not to take pictures at the events or upload any details of the parties.

New York City Sheriff Joseph Fucito told ABC News that several of the parties targeted by police were illegal because hosts did not have valid liquor licenses. 

‘They were illegal activity before the COVID-19 pandemic, and violations of the mayor’s and governor’s orders in conjunction with the social event just compound the criminal activity,’ said Fucito.

‘Because of the fast-changing nature and location of the events, the Sheriff’s Office does not comment on criminal investigations, but we readily accept tips about these activities.’ 

DailyMail.com has reached out to the New York authorities for further comment and details.  

In one recent incident, authorities shut down an alleged sex party in Midtown Manhattan last Saturday

In one recent incident, authorities shut down an alleged sex party in Midtown Manhattan last Saturday

Pictured: People are seen sitting socially distanced in Washington Square Park as the city continues Phase 4 in New York City

Pictured: People are seen sitting socially distanced in Washington Square Park as the city continues Phase 4 in New York City

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has urged residents to follow COVID-19 public health guidelines to curb the spread of the virus

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has urged residents to follow COVID-19 public health guidelines to curb the spread of the virus 

New York authorities have put renewed force when imposing public health guidelines amid a global pandemic. 

New York City became the epicenter of cases and deaths early on, but have since slowed down,

New York state has since managed to slow down infections, on Wednesday recording 777 new cases and 13 new deaths.  

In the Big Apple, there were 59 new cases on Wednesday and three fatalities. 

Videos and pictures of alleged large gatherings have filtered onto social media, prompting authorities and officials to condemn the blatant flouting of public health guidelines,

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday blasted one such incident last Saturday when the Chainsmokers held a charity concert in The Hamptons. 

‘Videos from a concert held in Southampton on Saturday show egregious social distancing violations. I am appalled,’ Cuomo wrote on Twitter.   

He added that an investigation will be conducted and ‘We have no tolerance for the illegal & reckless endangerment of public health.’

Cuomo condemned footage he saw of the Safe & Sound charity concert where people ignored social distancing in The Hamptons

Cuomo condemned footage he saw of the Safe & Sound charity concert where people ignored social distancing in The Hamptons 

The ‘Safe & Sound’ charity drive-in show on Saturday had about 500 drive-in parking spots that reportedly sold for up to $25,000 each and welcomed a couple thousand attendees in Water Mill, New York. 

Despite the concert’s design to have ‘safe zones’ for cars with up to six people, posts on social media showed people leaving their cars, partying together, and dancing without masks. 

In The Know Experiences and Invisible Noise, two organizers of the show, defended the event by claiming it followed CDC guidelines. 

‘The Safe & Sound drive-in concert fundraiser followed the guidelines created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and made best efforts to ensure New York’s social distancing guidelines were properly maintained throughout the event.’

The event’s website said every car had a 20ft x 20ft area to park their vehicle and enjoy the concert in the surrounding space.

Governor Andrew Cuomo¿s office is investigating a Chainsmokers concert held in the Hamptons where attendees ignored social distancing guidelines and hordes of fans partied by the stage without masks.  Chainsmokers duo Alexander Pall and Andrew Taggart pictured backstage during the 'Safe & Sound' Drive-In Concert fundraiser on Saturday in Water Mill, New York

Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office is investigating a Chainsmokers concert held in the Hamptons where attendees ignored social distancing guidelines and hordes of fans partied by the stage without masks.  Chainsmokers duo Alexander Pall and Andrew Taggart pictured backstage during the ‘Safe & Sound’ Drive-In Concert fundraiser on Saturday in Water Mill, New York

Organizers praised the event as a success on social media boasting that guests had temperatures checked and were confined to parking spot areas, but footage of crowds show large groups close together without masks, defeating those safety efforts.

And a source told Page Six: ‘There was definitely a section of people in front of the cars that did not adhere to social distancing. But you could really be safe there if you were smart enough and mature enough to do it. 

‘You could go from your car and then have your square [of space] and have no contact. I think the intentions were good, but there is no way you can control those kids who feel immortal.’

In another post, Cuomo lambasted New Yorkers after reports and social media showed hundreds of people, not socially distanced or wearing a face covering, gathering together on the streets of Queens.     

‘This weekend COVID didn’t quit but too many NYers did,’ Cuomo wrote on July 20.

‘This is not NY Tough and it sure isn’t NY Smart. Wear a mask. Social distance. It is NOT worth the risk.’ 

A spokesperson for Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office told ABC News that at least a dozen social media posts announcing yacht parties have emerged. 

Cuomo: 'This is not NY Tough and it sure isn¿t NY Smart. Wear a mask. Social distance. It is NOT worth the risk'

Cuomo: ‘This is not NY Tough and it sure isn’t NY Smart. Wear a mask. Social distance. It is NOT worth the risk’

The Mayor has reminded boat companies of coronavirus restrictions and will take action if rules are not followed.  

New York City is currently in Phase 4 of its reopening plan, which prohibits indoor gatherings of more than 50 people and requires people adhere to public health guidelines if they attend such an event.

The Office of the New York City Sheriff had spearheaded measures to enforce social distancing guidelines. Deputies are responding to tips from the public about potential large gatherings and parties.

Officials announced that 45 businesses across New York, including 12 New York City bars, have had liquor licenses taken away over ‘egregious violations’ of coronavirus orders. 

Between July 24 to the 26, the New York State Liquor Authority issued upwards of 130 coronavirus-related violations that have fines up to $10,000.

The total number of pandemic-related charged has now reached 503. 

Although some New Yorkers may fight the public health orders, Columbia University law professor Richard Briffault told ABC new the restrictions are legally justifiable. 

The scientific basis of the restrictions would most likely stand up in court, unless there’s evidence that they are targeting a specific group of people.

‘These orders are pretty consistent with powers a governor or mayor has to take, steps to protect public health,’ he said. ‘There is no fundamental right to party.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk