Costa Rica 1-0 New Zealand: Former Arsenal man Joel Campbell is the hero with early strike to secure final World Cup spot at expense of All Whites
- Costa Rica found themselves in the playoff after finishing fourth in qualifying
- New Zealand took the one playoff place available to teams from Oceania
- Former Arsenal man Joel Campbell gave South American’s an early lead
- A red card for Kosta Barbarouses seriously hampered Kiwi chances
- Click here for all the latest World Cup 2022 news and updates
Costa Rica saw off New Zealand to secure a place at the World Cup in Qatar this year.
Former Arsenal man Joel Campbell gave the South Americans the lead just three minutes into the contest.
And another decisive moment came with 20 minutes to go as Kosta Barbarouses’ red card gave the All Whites a mountain to climb. Costa Rica saw the game out, much to the delight of the South American fans in Qatar and back home
More to follow…
Joel Campbell gave Costa Rica an early lead in only the third minute of the game
The South American side have World Cup pedigree and made it to the showpiece again
Campbell celebrated in front of the Costa Rican fans who made the trip to watch
New Zealands’s Kosta Barbarouses, center, gets red card during the qualifying play-off
Costa Rica fans inside the National Stadium in San Jose celebrate the early lead