Covid positive five-year-old girl is rushed to hospital after her miner dad sparked a lockdown in the Northern Territory
- Five-year-old girl who tested positive to Covid-19 has been taken to hospital
- She was taken to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital on Tuesday and Sunday
- Daughter of infected miner who returned to SA after working in NT exposure site
- All family members are infected, with the youngest child less than 12 months old
- Family are currently completing quarantine at Adelaide’s Tom Court medi-hotel
A five-year-old girl who became infected with Covid-19 has been rushed to an Adelaide hospital.
SA health confirmed the young girl was taken for assessment at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital on Tuesday returning to Tom’s Court quarantine hotel later that day.
The five-year-old girl had also been taken to the hospital on Sunday.
SA health confirmed the young girl was taken for assessment at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital on Tuesday returning to Tom’s Court quarantine hotel later that day
‘My understanding is that (the infant’s hospital visit) was for some fairly routine observations and not for treatment,’ Adelaide’s Premier Steve Marshall told reporters.
The girl is the daughter of a recently returned miner who tested positive for the highly infectious Delta-strain earlier this week.
Adam Ryan returned to South Australia in late June after working at the Northern Territory Tanami mine, which had been exposed to other Covid-19 cases.
All members of the family have tested positive including the couple’s baby, who is aged less than 12 months old
The miner initially tested negative for the virus, however he later returned a positive Covid-19 result.
All confirmed positive cases are required to complete 14 days quarantine at Tom Court medi-hotel in Adelaide’s CBD.
Following the man’s positive result his wife Kristen and their four children, all aged under 10 years old, tested positive to the virus.
The Tom Court medi-hotel in Adelaide’s CBD where covid-19 positive cases are completing a 14 day quarantine
Their youngest child, who is less than 12 months old, was the last member of the family to become infected with the virus, after returning a positive result on July 2.
Mr Ryan’s positive Covid-19 result sparked a three-day lockdown of Alice Springs in the Northern Territory, as contact tracers rushed to contain any potential spread of the virus.
Almost 500 contacts were quarantined, with 344 considered close contacts and 134 considered secondary.
Adam (right) and his wife Kristen (left) have spoken out over how overwhelmed they were with the support they have received from the community while in quarantine
The miner had then attended a KFC drive-thru in Torrensville while on his way home from the airport, forcing 14 staff members to be tested as a precaution.
100 per cent of contacts have since been tested and returned a negative result, with authorities confident they have traced and notified everyone.
The Ryan’s family have said they are overwhelmed with support received from the South Australian community while they undergo quarantine at the Tom Court hotel.