News, Culture & Society

Covid-19 Australia: Outbreak at a Summer Hill, Sydney nursing home blows out to 12 residents

Twelve residents at an aged care home have been rushed to hospital after testing positive to Covid-19 amid Sydney’s Delta outbreak.

An aged care worker at the Wyoming Nursing Home in Summer Hill in Sydney’s inner-west first tested positive to the virus on July 27. 

The partially-vaccinated employee, who was asymptomatic, is believed to have brought the virus into the home from the community. 

A spokesman for the home – which is also known as Hardi Summer Hill – said 80 per cent of its 65 residents and 75 per cent of its 60 staff were fully vaccinated.

The aged care outbreak came as New South Wales recorded 239 locally-acquired cases on Sunday – a joint pandemic record for new infections in the state in one day.

 

Twelve residents at the Wyoming Nursing Home in Summer Hill in Sydney’s inner-west have been rushed to hospital after testing positive to Covid-19 amid the city’s Delta outbreak

‘Twelve residents have been identified as positive for Covid-19,’ a Wyoming Nursing Home spokesman said.

‘They have been transferred to hospital as a precaution and the staff member, as well as her close contacts, are now in isolation.’

The home has been locked down to all visitors and residents still in the home are in self-isolation, the spokesman said.

‘Expert infection prevention and control staff, infectious diseases staff as well as clinical staff are on site to ensure adherence to strict infection control processes including correct personal protective equipment to ensure the safety of residents and staff,’ the home said in a statement 

NSW Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr Jeremy McNulty on Sunday announced several cases have been identified across aged care facilities, impacting Australia’s most vulnerable age groups. 

‘There are a number of aged care facilities across the city that have been affected, with staff and residents infected,’ Dr McNulty told reporters. 

New South Wales recorded 239 locally-acquired cases on Sunday - a joint pandemic record for new infections in the state in one day. Pictured are Sydneysiders on Bondi Beach on Sunday

New South Wales recorded 239 locally-acquired cases on Sunday – a joint pandemic record for new infections in the state in one day. Pictured are Sydneysiders on Bondi Beach on Sunday

‘On a regular basis we are seeing cases in hospital settings or aged care settings and we have even had some disability settings as well.’

Dr McNulty said the contagion is spreading through a facility in the city’s inner-west, but most of those who have so far tested positive were vaccinated.  

‘There is an outbreak in a Summer Hill aged care facility with I understand nine residents affected,’ he said.

‘Fortunately, many of those have been vaccinated. As I understand it, the ones with vaccination are doing relatively well.’

Dr McNulty said he did not have information about why some of the nine elderly residents were not vaccinated.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian meanwhile said trends show transmissions are taking place in workplaces and households.

Ms Berejiklian said ‘pleasingly’ the bulk of the cases were not outside the main eight Sydney local government areas of concern.

‘We are again seeing the virus circulating in workplaces and in homes,’ she said.

A nurse receives the Pfizer vaccine at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Vaccination Hub in Sydney in February

A nurse receives the Pfizer vaccine at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Vaccination Hub in Sydney in February

Ms Berejiklian said in the previous 24 hours more than 82,000 people in NSW had been vaccinated.

‘At that rate we are vaccinating 500,000 of people per week,’ she said.

Of the 239 locally acquired cases recorded in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday, 115 are linked to a known case or cluster – 92 are household contacts and 23 are close contacts. The source of infection for 124 cases is under investigation.

There are currently 222 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital in NSW. Of these, 54 people are in intensive care, 25 of whom require ventilation.

There were 87,712 COVID-19 tests reported to 8pm on Saturday night.

Earlier on Sunday, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said authorities would keep harsher lockdown measures in specific local government areas despite calls to expand certain rules for all of Sydney.

Health workers conducted more than 87,000 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday night

Health workers conducted more than 87,000 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday night 

Pictured: Two masked women walk their dogs along Bondi Beach on Sunday

Pictured: Two masked women walk their dogs along Bondi Beach on Sunday

The Australian Medical Association President Dr Omar Khorshid called for travel limits within a 5km radius from home and outdoor mask wearing rules to be extended beyond eight local government areas.

‘We’re trying to strike a balance and I think the balance is appropriate,’ Mr Hazzard told ABC’s Insiders program on Sunday.

He said when Sydney locked down the northern beaches during an outbreak last year and the eastern suburbs during this outbreak there was a ‘high level of compliance’. 

The lockdown in Sydney’s southwest had been more ‘challenging’, he said.

NSW recorded its 14th death in this current outbreak on Saturday, a man in his 60s who died at home in southwest Sydney.

When asked about his previous comments that Sydney families were turning up to hospitals with a Covid-19 infected relative who is ‘not alive but dead’ the minister said he would not go into the family’s ‘personal circumstances’.

‘All I’ll say is that there was broad infection in the family and there was no effort to get to health authorities, as I understand it, until it was too late,’ Mr Hazzard said.

He said there was a reluctance for large ‘refugee family groups’ where there are few income earners to come forward to health authorities.

NSW Police were out in force on Saturday for a massive operation to prevent a repeat of the anti-lockdown protest in the CBD last weekend

NSW Police were out in force on Saturday for a massive operation to prevent a repeat of the anti-lockdown protest in the CBD last weekend

Sydney and surrounding regions are in lockdown until at least August 28, as health authorities battle to contain the virulent Delta strain outbreak.

Saturday marked the return to work for the construction sector after a fortnight-long enforced break, with work allowed to resume on non-occupied sites provided Covid-safe plans are in force.

But the sector cannot call on 68,000 workers – or 42 per cent of the workforce – from eight council areas worst-hit by the city’s coronavirus outbreak.

The state’s workplace safety regulator said construction sites should expect a visit to ensure they’re complying with public health orders.

Meanwhile, a threatened anti-lockdown protest in central Sydney failed to eventuate on Saturday.

Police set up an exclusion zone around the city between 9am and 3pm after warning taxi and rideshare companies they would face fines of up to half a million dollars for transporting passengers into the CBD.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk