Pub trips could be CANCELLED for unlucky Victorians as state reviews coronavirus easing measures in the wake of a huge spike in cases
- Emergency meetings held to review coronavirus restriction rollback in Victoria
- Meeting comes amid spike in COVID-19 cases recorded across the state
- Victoria was set to reopen bars, clubs and cinemas on Monday
- Caps on capacities were also to be raised from 20 to 50 at cafes and pubs
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
Victorians may have to wait a little longer to go to the bar and clubs as the state considers reviewing its lockdown restrictions amid a spike in COVID-19 cases.
Thirteen new cases were recorded on Friday, 18 on Thursday and 21 on Wednesday, resulting in the state’s biggest increase in more than a month.
Gyms, cinemas, indoor sports centres and concert venues were scheduled to reopen on Monday while cafes, restaurants and pubs were to increase capacity from 20 people to 50.
Though Herald Sun reported emergency meetings have been held to review the current restrictions and planned rollbacks.
Victorians may have to wait a little longer to go to the bar and clubs as the state considers reviewing its lockdown restrictions amid a spike in COVID-19 cases
While the rest of the country’s COVID-19 infections decline, Victoria’s active cases rose to 91 on Friday, up from 66 four weeks ago.
Authorities are relieved that they know the links to most of the cases – many of whom are returned travellers or linked to them.
‘We’re hoping that this isn’t the beginning of a second wave and we’re doing everything we absolutely can to make sure that that’s not the case,’ Victorian Deputy Chief Health Officer Annaliese van Diemen said.
Overall, 1792 Victorians have been recorded with the virus, though 1680 have recovered.
Five people are in hospital, including two patients in intensive care. Nineteen people have died.
On Friday, it was announced five security guards had breached social distancing rules at Stamford Plaza hotel, in central Melbourne, and raised the number of coronavirus cases.
‘There’s been some closer mingling than we would have liked of these guards in the workplace,’ Deputy Chief Health Officer Annaliese Van Dieman said.
Gyms, cinemas, indoor sports centres and concert venues were scheduled to reopen on Monday while cafes, restaurants and pubs were to increase capacity from 20 people to 50
Though Herald Sun reported emergency meetings have been held to review the current restrictions and planned rollbacks in Victoria
Dr Van Dieman said the infectious guards worked during a similar period of time at the five-star quarantine hotel.
‘There’s a large cohort of security guards and workers and unfortunately it does appear that quite a few of them have worked for single or multiple days whilst infectious,’ she explained.
She said the security guards had been trained in coronavirus protocol but other staff members reported social distancing breaches to the hotel management.
‘All of the security guards are trained in appropriate use of personal protective equipment, they all have clear guidance around physical distancing practices in the workplace.
‘It does appear there have been some breaches of those guidelines at this point in time.
‘A number of those things were observed directly by staff and reported in to the people managing the hotel’, Dr Van Dieman explained.
More to come