Are they kidding? Sydneysiders clear out supermarket toilet paper AGAIN despite the city avoiding a lockdown in the latest Covid outbreak
- Coles and Woolworths shelves in Sydney have been stripped bare of toilet paper
- Neither supermarket giant has reintroduced buying limits on toilet paper
- Frustrated shoppers have called out others for stockpiling despite no lockdown
Sydneysiders have started panic buying toilet paper again despite the city avoiding a lockdown during the latest coronavirus outbreak.
In scenes reminiscent of the first wave of Covid in March 2020, Coles and Woolworths’ shelves across Sydney have once again been stripped bare of loo roll.
Neither of the supermarkets have re-introduced buying limits on toilet paper, but frustrated shoppers have called out others for stockpiling.
‘Not panic buying toilet paper again Sydney,’ one person wrote on Twitter alongside a photo of empty supermarket shelves.
In scenes reminiscent of the first wave of Covid in March 2020, Coles and Woolworths shelves across Sydney have again been stripped bare of loo roll
‘I am still wondering why do people think toilet paper needs to be completely collected off the shelf every time there is a lockdown?’ another tweeted.
‘This happened even when the shops guarantee that there are millions of rolls more in the pipeline and no one will ever run out. Madness.’
Some supermarkets reported they still had plenty of toilet paper, while others said they only had a little stock left.
Scott Morrison previously condemned selfish shoppers for panic buying during the beginning of the pandemic.
‘Stop hoarding. I can’t be more blunt about it. Stop it,’ he said last March.
‘That is not who we are as a people. It is not necessary. It is not something that people should be doing.
Frustrated shoppers have called out others for once again stockpiling toilet paper
Some supermarkets reported they still had plenty of toilet paper, while others said they only had a little stock left
‘It’s ridiculous. It’s un-Australian, and it must stop, and I would ask people to do the right thing by each other in getting a handle on these sorts of practices.’
So far, there are 36 cases linked to the so-called Bondi cluster that erupted in the city’s east last week.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Thursday warned the state was facing its ‘scariest’ period since the pandemic began.
There were 18 new cases recorded from 48,402 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday, 13 of which were announced previously.
Another six cases were detected after the 8pm cut-off – which will be included in Friday’s official tally – adding to the five new cases confirmed on Thursday for a tally of 11, for an overall total of 36.
There were 18 new cases recorded from 48,402 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday, 13 of which were announced previously
All but one of the new cases are linked to a known case or cluster.
NSW Health added several exposure sites including two cafes in Potts Point, two cafes in Alexandria and a health club in Bondi Junction to its list of venues of concern on Thursday evening and Friday morning.
Despite widespread speculation Sydney was on the brink of another lockdown, Ms Berejiklian held her nerve but flagged a police blitz to nab anyone defying the restrictions announced on Wednesday.
‘Since the pandemic has started, this is perhaps the scariest period that NSW is going through,’ she said on Thursday.
‘It is a very contagious (Delta) variant but at the same time we are at this stage comfortable that the settings that are in place are the appropriate settings, but that is so long as everybody does the right thing.’