- Crane toppled off a barge into Sydney Harbour in front of the Luna Park
- Hundreds of tourists watched it fall about 1pm on Tuesday
- It was working on a platform in front of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- A cable later snapped off and flew over the water landing on park’s iconic face
- Not known if anyone was injured but ambulances not responding
A crane has toppled off a barge into Sydney Harbour near the Luna Park ferry wharf in front of hundreds of tourists.
The crane was refurbishing the wharf in front of the theme park near the Harbour Bridge when it fell about 1pm on Tuesday.
An hour later about 2.15pm a cable snapped off the crane, flew dozens of metres across the water and landed on the iconic Luna Park entrance face.
A crane has toppled off a barge into Sydney Harbour in front of the Luna Park ferry wharf
Witnesses said they heard a loud bang just before the machinery fell.
Emergency services are on site but it’s not known if anyone was injured. Ambulances were reportedly not responding to the accident.
Waterways, which owns the crane and is conducting the renovation work, was contacted for comment.