News, Culture & Society

Cristiano Ronaldo denies rumours he is set to sign for Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr

‘That’s NOT true’: Cristiano Ronaldo denies reports he’s set to sign for Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr in a deal worth £173m per season… with Portugal forward a free agent after acrimonious departure from Manchester United

Cristiano Ronaldo has broken his silence on reports linking him with a move to Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr – insisting they are ‘not true’.

The 37-year-old left Manchester United last month after his fractured relationship with club chiefs worsened when he made a number of controversial statements in a TV interview with Piers Morgan.

Since his departure from Old Trafford, speculation has circulated regarding what club Ronaldo will join, with the forward a free agent heading into the second half of the season as it stands.

Cristiano Ronaldo denied reports he is set to sign for Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr next month

Reports emerged on Monday that suggested the out-of-contract star was on the verge of agreeing a huge deal with Al Nassr that would’ve seen the five-time Ballon d’Or winner net close to €200million (£173m) per season. 

Spanish outlet MARCA reported that Ronaldo – who is currently a free agent – was set to sign a deal with the Middle East outfit at the start of next month. 

The outlet claimed that the initial deal was worth close to €100m (£86m) but would’ve been incentivised by further agreements such as advertisement and sponsorship deals. 

However, following Portugal’s 6-1 win over Switzerland in the World Cup Round of 16, for which Ronaldo was dropped in favour of hat-trick hero Goncalo Ramos, the veteran superstar rubbished the rumours linking him with a move to the Middle East.

‘No, that’s not true – not true,’ he told reporters after the game.

Ronaldo left Manchester United last month after his controversial interview with Piers Morgan

Ronaldo left Manchester United last month after his controversial interview with Piers Morgan

Al Nassr’s proposal was reportedly a two and a half year deal until the summer of 2025.

Sources close to Ronaldo on Monday had told Sportsmail reports of a deal being complete were ‘nonsense’. 

The forward had previously made no comments over his future during the World Cup campaign but now it seems as if he won’t be moving to Saudi Arabia.

In the extraordinary aforementioned interview with Morgan, Ronaldo had admitted rumours of a €350m offer for two seasons from an unnamed Saudi Arabian club in the summer were true – which he had declined. 

Al-Nassr are one of the most successful clubs in Saudi Arabia, having being crowned winners of the country’s top flight nine times, with their most recent triumph coming in 2019.

Following Portugal’s win over Switzerland, Ronaldo’s next assignment will be in the quarter-finals against Morocco on Saturday at 3pm (GMT). 

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk



Find local lawyers and law firms at USAttorneys.com