Crown Prince Haakon of Norway has advised ‘everyone should take their time to breathe’ as he commented on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to quit as senior royals.
The heir to the Norwegian throne, 46, became the first European royal to weigh in on Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle’s, 38, news yesterday.
According to Royal Central, when questioned about the Sussexes’ shock announcement, Crown Prince Haakon said: ‘I think if everyone should take their time to breathe, and I am sure they will find good solutions.’
His comments come as the Queen, 93, said she wanted a plan found for the Sussexes in a matter of days, following a summit at Sandringham with Prince Harry, 35, Prince Charles, 71, and Prince William, 37, yesterday.
Crown Prince Haakon, 46, became the first European royal to weigh in on Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle’s, 38, shock announcement they’d be stepping back from life as senior royals
Crown Prince Haakon is the only son of King Harald V and Queen Sonja and the heir apparent to the throne of Norway.
The 46-year-old has two children, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, 15, and Prince Sverre Magnus, 14.
The Duke of Sussex last travelled to Norway in February 2019 on a solo trip, while The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also visited the country for a four-day tour in February 2018.
Crown Prince Haakon’s parents King Harald and Queen Sonja also attended Prince William and Kate’s wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011, but were not present at Prince Harry and Meghan’s wedding in 2018.
Crown Prince Haakon suggested everyone ‘take time to breathe’ in order to find solutions to the Sussexes announcement (pictured, the Duke and Duchess at Canada House last week)
Crown Prince Haakon made the comments as Prince Harry joined other senior members of the British royal family at Sandringham to discuss his family’s future in The Firm.
After the family meeting at Sandringham yesterday, Her Majesty released a historic and emotionally-charged statement regretting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s bombshell decision.
The ‘big four’ Windsors are not expected to meet again in person but will be consulted by phone as their private secretaries thrash out a deal over their titles, tax bills, royal duties, funding and living arrangements in Canada and the UK as well as who will pay to protect them.
Sir Edward Young for the Queen, Clive Alderton for Charles, Simon Case for William and Fiona Mcilwham for Harry have been ordered by Her Majesty to get a deal done within days.
Crown Prince Haakon has hosted senior members of the British royal family in recent years (pictured, with Prince William, 37, and Kate Middleton, 38, in February 2018)
Prince Harry met with the Queen and other senior royals at Sandringham yesterday with the family hoping to get a deal done in days (pictured, Prince Harry and Meghan at Canada House last Tuesday shortly before their announcement)
Yesterday’s unprecedented meeting represented the first time that Harry had met with his closest relatives since early November, with the prince and his wife having taken a six-week break in Canada over the Christmas period.
The Queen has said that hammering out a viable blueprint for Harry and Meghan’s financially independent future was proving ‘complex’ and indicated more details need to be ironed out – including their use of the Sussex title to build their business brand in North America.
Although they arrived back only last week, Meghan, 38, has already returned to the country.
Aides have now been set to work to try to come up with a workable solution to the crisis preferably by Friday.