News, Culture & Society

Dan Evans PULLS OUT of Tokyo 2020 after Britain’s No 1 tests positive for Covid

Dan Evans PULLS OUT of Tokyo 2020 Olympics after Britain’s No 1 tests positive for Covid following Wimbledon exit… as tennis star joins host of players in withdrawing from competition

Dan Evans has joined the increasing list of tennis players pulling out of the Olympics after testing positive for Covid.

The British men’s number one joins his opposite number Jo Konta, who announced on Tuesday that she was withdrawing for the same reason.

Evans, who only made a late decision to travel to Tokyo, is believed to have tested positive shortly after leaving the Wimbledon bubble, having made the third round of the singles.

Dan Evans is the latest star to pull out of Tokyo 2020 after testing positive for coronavirus

‘I am hugely disappointed and currently self isolating according to the guidelines as set out by the government,’ he said in a statement.

The player most impacted by his withdrawal is prospective doubles partner, Wimbledon mixed champion Neal Skupski, and it was being investigated last night whether Jamie Murray could be drafted in as late replacement.

The Olympic tennis event has been hit by a raft of pullouts. Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic has yet to make a decision on whether or not play. 

Federer, 39, suffered a ‘setback’ with his knee, and will have yet more treatment after two surgeries in the last 18 months. His announcement is no surprise after he was thrashed in straight sets by Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz in the Wimbledon quarter-finals.

The Swiss hopes to return for the US Open next month. 

‘I am greatly disappointed, as it has been an honour and highlight of my career each time I have represented Switzerland.

The 31-year-old contracted the virus following his third round exit from this year's Wimbledon

The 31-year-old contracted the virus following his third round exit from this year’s Wimbledon

Evans joins Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Johanna Konta in pulling out from the Olympics

Evans joins Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Johanna Konta in pulling out from the Olympics

‘I have already begun rehabilitation in the hopes of returning to the tour later this summer.

‘I wish the entire Swiss team the best of luck and I will be rooting hard from afar.’ 

British No 1 Konta, meanwhile, revealed she was unable to prepare properly after contracting Covid. The 30-year-old also missed Wimbledon this month after a close contact tested positive for the virus. 

Nadal announced his withdrawal from Tokyo following his exit from the French Open earlier this year, while Novak Djokovic has cast doubt over his appearance in the Far East this summer.

World No 1 Novak Djokovic has also cast doubt over his appearance at the Games this summer

World No 1 Novak Djokovic has also cast doubt over his appearance at the Games this summer

The Serb equalled Federer and Nadal’s tally of 20 slams with his Wimbledon triumph last weekend, and could complete a ‘Golden Slam’ if he wins Gold in Tokyo and the US Open.

The World No 1 has never won Olympic Gold and with a rapidly decreasing field, his chances have greatly improved, although he says he is ’50-50′. 

‘My plan was always to go to the Olympic Games, but right now I am a little bit divided,’ he said.

‘It is kind of 50-50 after what I heard in the last couple of days.’

Djokovic added that he was concerned about a lack of spectators and strict Covid protocols in place in Tokyo.   

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk