News, Culture & Society

Dandenong man released from custody after homeless man dies in fight

Homeowner is released from custody after a homeless man who was seen ‘acting suspiciously’ in his front yard dies during confrontation

  • A woman called police after finding a man acting suspiciously outside her home
  • Her partner confronted the man, before a fight broke out, with both men injured 
  • The trespasser died in hospital while the homeowner suffered minor injuries
  • Partner was arrested and has since been released pending further inquiries 
  • Police are appealing for anyone with information on the incident to contact them
  • Do you know more? Contact tips@dailymail.com 

A homeowner who got into a deadly fight with a man acting suspicious in his front yard has been released from police custody. 

The 31-year-old man confronted a trespasser behaving suspiciously in the yard of his partner’s home in Dandenong North, Melbourne, about 5am on Monday.   

During the confrontation with the 37-year-old man who was homeless, police said a fight broke out.

Both men were injured in the brawl, and the trespasser was rushed to hospital where he later died.

A man has died after a suspected fight with a homeowner on a street in Dandenong North in Melbourne’s south-east

A 31-year-old man, who lives in the house, was arrested by homicide detectives but released on Monday night

A 31-year-old man, who lives in the house, was arrested by homicide detectives but released on Monday night

The homeowner was treated for minor injuries.

Homicide investigators released the homeowner on Monday night, but a statement from Victoria Police said investigations are continuing.  

Investigators were on site scanning the scene for fingerprints and evidence on Monday afternoon.

Neighbours on Carlton Road told The Age they heard a disturbance on the street early in the morning.

‘My husband, he heard someone yelling, just the f-word or something like that, swearing. Around 4am,’ resident Tram Nguyen said.

Ms Nguyen said the incident on the street was not an outlier, and that a car had been broken into outside her home.

‘This area is not totally safe.’ 

‘There were bottles of blood on the fence,’ Carlton Road resident Stuart said. ‘They must have been giving him blood.’

Police have requested for anyone with further information on the incident to come forward.       

A woman had seen the homeless man, 37, acting suspiciously and called police and told her partner, who went to confront him

A woman had seen the homeless man, 37, acting suspiciously and called police and told her partner, who went to confront him

Detectives are investigating the incident, with homicide investigators on site scanning the scene for fingerprints and evidence on Monday afternoon

Detectives are investigating the incident, with homicide investigators on site scanning the scene for fingerprints and evidence on Monday afternoon



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.