News, Culture & Society

Disability pensioner David Owen Renshaw claims his winning $3.3MILLION Lotto ticket was thrown away

Disability pensioner who claims his winning $3.3MILLION Lotto ticket was thrown away by a newsagent wins bid to have ‘confidential data’ inspected

  • David Owen Renshaw is suing NSW Lotteries over the unclaimed prize 
  • He said a shop attendant threw the ticket in the bin saying ‘no winner’
  • Lawyers for NSW Lotteries and Mr Renshaw asked to inspect confidential data
  • If details Mr Renshaw gave about ticket do not match, case will be dismissed 

The long-running case of a Sydney disability pensioner who says he’s the winner of an unclaimed $3.3 million 1997 Lotto prize may soon be over after a judicial officer inspects ‘highly confidential’ data.

David Owen Renshaw is suing NSW Lotteries over the unclaimed prize, saying he handed in his ticket at Granville Railway Station newsagency following the September 23, 1997 draw.

Mr Renshaw, who launched his NSW Supreme Court lawsuit in 2016, has previously said when he handed in his ticket to the newsagency he saw the words ‘provisional winner’ come up.

David Owen Renshaw is suing NSW Lotteries over the unclaimed prize, saying he handed in his ticket at Granville Railway Station newsagency following the September 23, 1997 draw

But, he says, the shop attendant – who didn’t speak English very well – threw the ticket in the bin saying ‘no winner’ and refused to return it.

The unclaimed $3.3 million is one-third of the first division prize in Oz Lotto Draw 188.

On Tuesday, lawyers for NSW Lotteries and Mr Renshaw asked Associate Justice Joanne Harrison to inspect confidential data to see if it matches with details Mr Renshaw has given about the ticket he said he purchased.

If it doesn’t, the case would be dismissed, said the organisation’s lawyer Justin Jogan-Doran.

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.