Exclusive for Mail on Sunday reader
Discover Venice on a luxury Italian river cruise with culinary legend Prue Leith
Everyone should experience Venice, the romantic ‘City of Water’, at least once during their lifetime, and on this exclusive new cruise you’ll get to see it with TV cookery star Prue Leith.
You’ll have plenty of time to discover the Unesco World Heritage site – where gondolas replace cars and the canals are lined by elegant Renaissance palaces – on included excursions, and also visit the beautiful surrounding islands of Burano, Mazzorbo and Torcello.
You’ll go to the Rialto food market with Prue and enjoy a cooking demonstration, exclusive talk and gala dinner with her aboard this seven-night luxury Uniworld cruise.
You will also visit the beautiful surrounding islands of Burano (pictured), Mazzorbo and Torcello
Gourmet meals and unlimited drinks are included, as is a private after-hours visit to St Mark’s Basilica. You can also visit the food capital of Bologna to learn how to make pasta or see the beautifully preserved city of Ferrara. As Prue says: ‘Italy is one of the top foodie destinations in the world, and where better to experience its flavours than Venice. ‘I can’t wait to explore this beguiling region with you.’
Meet Prue Leith
You will be joined by Prue Leith. Over an extraordinarily varied and successful 50-year career, Prue Leith, right, has worked as a Michelin-starred restaurateur, businesswoman, caterer, broadcaster, journalist, cookery writer and novelist. Having been a judge on the BBC’s The Great British Menu, Prue now brings her culinary experience to bear as a judge on The Great British Bake Off.
Prue is one of the most fascinating personalities of the culinary world and she will join you for three days on board. You will meet her during a private talk and Q&A, join her for a special gala dinner, and get her culinary tips during an onboard cooking demonstration.
Built on tiny islands in a lagoon on the Adriatic Sea, this incredible city is truly breathtaking. Join a tour of secret spots that are usually reserved for locals, visit the Doge’s Palace and experience St Mark’s Basilica in private after the crowds have left.
You’ll enjoy a tour of the busy Rialto food market with Prue Leith, with the opportunity to make pasta and have lunch in Bologna, culinary capital of northern Italy, on an excursion and visit lively local markets in Chioggia or Padua.
Sail in style
Uniworld’s European fleet includes luxury ships with an average capacity of just 130 guests and the highest staff-to-guest ratio in the industry. You’ll have a Riverview Stateroom on SS La Venezia, which is new for 2020. Inspired by Venetian culture, the ship will feature three dining venues, including an Italian kitchen on the upper deck.
Explore the Veneto
You’ll also see the waterfront shops, colourful facades and peaceful canals unique to Burano, Mazzorbo and Torcello, other islands in the lagoon. You’ll also stop at Chioggia, a charming southern port that is sometimes called Little Venice.
- DAY 1: Arrive in Venice and board SS La Venezia
- DAY 2: Explore Venice, including an after-hours tour of St Mark’s Basilica
- DAY 3: Chioggia
- DAY 4: Excursions to Bologna or Ferrara
- DAY 5: Porto Viro, Chioggia, Burano
- DAY 6: Venice islands and Prue Leith talk and Q&A
- DAY 7: Rialto food market with Prue and farewell gala dinner
- DAY 8: Return to UK
- Return flights from London to Venice.
- Seven nights’ all-inclusive Uniworld cruise on SS La Venezia in a Riverview Stateroom.
- Five-star, farm-to-table cuisine and unlimited premium spirits and wines on board.
- Exclusive talk and Q&A with Prue Leith.
- Six days of excursions, with ‘Choice is Yours’ options, as detailed in the full itinerary online.
- Visit to the Rialto food market with Prue.
- Farewell gala dinner with menu devised by Prue.
- English-speaking guides, plus the services of a Uniworld cruise director and tour manager.
- All gratuities, both on board and on shore, and all transfers.
VENICE TRAVEL FACTS