Doctor is accused of touching a 17-year-old girl’s breasts and asking her boyfriend inappropriate questions about their sex life during standard consultation
- GP touched a teenager’s breasts without consent, a jury has heard
- Azit Das is facing a retrial over allegations he sexually assaulted the 17-year-old
- Das denies the alleged assault at a Mill Park clinic in March 2016
A Melbourne GP touched a teenager’s breasts without consent and asked her and her boyfriend inappropriate questions about their sex life, a jury has heard.
Azit Das is facing a retrial over allegations he sexually assaulted the 17-year-old girl during a consultation alongside her boyfriend at a Mill Park clinic in March 2016.
The boyfriend had gone to Das for test results of a scan on his groin, which turned out to be a cyst, and his girlfriend had accompanied him.
Azit Das is facing a retrial over allegations he sexually assaulted the 17-year-old girl during a consultation alongside her boyfriend at a Mill Park clinic in March 2016
But the conversation allegedly ‘shifted into another direction’ while the couple were in the room with Das, prosecutors said.
‘It shifted into a conversation about sexual matters,’ prosecutor Nick Batten told a County Court jury in his opening address on Wednesday.
‘Some unjustifiable questions were put to these young people about their sexual life.’
It’s alleged Das then suggested he would carry out a medical check on the girl’s breasts.
‘And she said to him, ‘no’. She didn’t agree to that,’ Mr Batten said.
‘He touched the young woman on her breasts without her consent.’
Das also suggested he could demonstrate something on the woman’s genitals ‘in relation to sexual matters’, Mr Batten added.
The doctor’s clinic in Mill Park in Victoria, where the alleged assault took place in 2016
‘It was rejected and it didn’t happen. But that was part of the lead up to the sexual assault.’
Das denies the assault and his defence lawyer Sean Cash told the jury to look closely at the evidence of a nurse who will testify.
‘She’s going to say she was there (during the consultation). Nothing happened,’ Mr Cash said.
There could be aspects of the couple’s evidence that could leave the jury with doubts about their ‘reliability’ and ‘credibility’, Mr Cash noted.
The couple went to a police station after the consultation to make a complaint about Das, who was later interviewed.
Mr Batten said Das, who is on bail, denied any wrongdoing when he was questioned by police.
Judge Michael McInerney said Das had previously faced a trial over the same allegations but it was aborted.
The latest jury will be shown footage of the complainant’s evidence from the first trial, saving her from testifying again.