Dog called Bluey fights for life after chewing through a pack of 50 painkillers – as her owners issue a warning to animal lovers
- Bluey the dog swallowed almost 50 pills of Ibuprofen and suffered renal failure
- The Power family rushed Bluey to the vet who told them she could possibly die
- Bluey was placed on dialysis and monitored in hopes her kidneys could recover
- She became better on dialysis but will have reduced kidney function in future
A dog who swallowed almost 50 painkiller tablets which caused her kidneys to shut down is lucky to be alive.
Tiffany Power from McLeans Ridges in New South Wales suspected something was wrong with her pet dog Bluey, when she wet her bed on Saturday night and urinated uncontrollably the following morning.
After a quick Google search which suggested a kidney problem, the Power family rushed Bluey to the vet who told them she had gone into renal failure after consuming a large amount of Ibuprofen tablets.
Tiffany Power from McLeans Ridges in New South Wales suspected something was wrong with her pet dog Bluey, when she wet her bed on Saturday night and urinated uncontrollably the following morning
Bluey was rushed to the vet and her owners were informed she was suffering from renal failure after consuming Ibuprofen
‘After a quick hunt around the house we discovered the culprit which was just a generic pack of 50 Ibuprofen that I’d bought on Saturday and left on the kitchen counter,’ Ms Power told Yahoo.
‘She managed to chew through the five sleeves containing 10 pills each, but we don’t know how many pills she consumed because it was a mushy mess by the time I found the box.’
The vet was straightforward with the family and told them there was a chance their beloved pet might not make it.
Bluey was placed on dialysis and monitored overnight in hopes that her kidneys were able to overcome the toxicity from the pills.
‘She made it through the night and her kidney function is now at 22 per cent which is excellent news,’ Ms Power wrote on Facebook.
‘The vet is optimistic she’ll recover. She remains on dialysis to give her kidneys time to heal and we’re hopeful she’ll be back home with us in the not too distant future.’
She was placed on dialysis and monitored overnight and fortunately improved
The vet warned that Bluey would have reduced kidney function in the future due to the toxic shock from the pills
He did warn that Bluey would have reduced kidney function in the future following the toxic shock from the pills.
Ms Power issued a warning to all dog owners to keep pain medication away from their pets.
‘I wanted to warn people of the danger Ibuprofen can cause to dogs,’ she wrote.
The vet said he’s lost count of the amount of times he’s had owners come in saying their pets had accidentally consumed pills.