A mother’s festive prank backfired when her family’s ‘Scrooge’ dog Posey ate their beloved Elf on the Shelf, leaving her children in tears.
Jessika See, 32, from Lake Charles, Louisiana, set up a mischievous winter scene by laying out her nine-year-old son Rafe’s elf, Rudy, on a kitchen countertop full of flour, so it looked like the doll was making snow angels.
However, she was confused when she arrived home after the school run to find that the elf had vanished, and there was nothing but a mark of white dust on the ground in his wake.
Jessika See, 32, from Lake Charles, Louisiana, revealed that her family’s dog Posey ate her nine-year-old son Rafe’s Elf on the Shelf, Rudy
Jessika searched the house with Rafe and her six-year-old daughter Cam, but Rudy the elf was nowhere to be found. The mom quickly came to the conclusion that Posey had eaten the toy.
‘We just got home and walked into this scene of flour everywhere and the dog licking her lips,’ she told Kennedy News. ‘As soon as I saw the flour on the ground, I turned and looked at [Posey], and she looked so guilty.
‘At first, my reaction was, “Where’s the elf?” I thought maybe my husband had come home and moved it. My gut knew immediately, but it was confirmed after searching the house up and down in the minutes following.
‘I looked on the floor and there was flour. I thought, “No way.” It was like Rudy had hit the ground,’ she recalled.
The mom had laid out Rudy on a kitchen countertop full of flour, so it looked like the elf was making snow angels, but when she arrived home, the toy was missing
Jessika searched the house with Rafe and her six-year-old daughter Cam, but she soon realized Posey had swallowed Rudy the elf whole.
The mom said she was in ‘disbelief’ that Posey had managed to pull the elf off of the counter and swallow it whole.
‘I think she ate it because it had flour on it. I guess she found it tasty,’ she said. ‘The kids started crying and screaming. They were upset, [but] they weren’t mad. They love their dog.’
Jessika shared a video of the carnage and chaos on TikTok, where it has been viewed more than 5.4 million times.
The footage started with a close-up of the flour before the camera panned to the furry culprit who was standing on the opposite end of the kitchen.
The mom shared a video of her children crying and screaming amid the chaos on TikTok, where it has been viewed more than 5.4 million times
Many viewers were concerned about Posey’s health,
‘Posey, did you eat him?’ Jessika asked the guilty-looking dog.
Cam was sobbing loudly, while Rafe’s lip quivered as he held back tears.
‘When the kids realized that our dog ate the elf whole after he made flour angels,’ the mom wrote in the on-screen text.
Thousands of people commented on the video, and many were concerned that Posey could suffer a blockage from swallowing the toy whole.
‘She was able to pass the elf just fine,’ Jessika said of the pooch, who has also eaten socks and a whole loaf of bread with the packaging
Thanks to the children’s grandmother, the children had a replacement elf the next day, and they were ‘totally fine’
‘We were a little worried [about Posey]. So, we consulted with a vet, and they gave us things to look for,’ Jessika told Kennedy News. ‘She was able to pass the elf just fine.’
Jessika noted that this wasn’t the first time that Posey has gotten her paws on something she shouldn’t have. The pooch has also eaten a whole loaf of bread with the packaging and a pair of socks.
‘Our dog has been a bit of a Scrooge,’ she admitted, but the elf’s magic is still alive and well at their house.
Thanks to the children’s grandmother, the children soon had a replacement.
‘I explained to the kids that the elf is magical and that you never know — we’ll have to wait and see,’ Jessika said. ‘Then a day later, the elf was back, and they were totally fine.’