Dog-lover spends three days in hospital after daughter’s chihuahua ‘Belle’ defecated on her FACE while she slept with her mouth open
- Amanda Gommo, 51, spent three days in hospital after dog pooed on her face
- Incident happened when the dog became ill as the pair took a nap together
- Ms Gommo was sleeping with her mouth open when Belle had ‘little accident’
- Mum-of-three became violently ill after contracting a gastrointestinal infection
A woman has been hospitalised after her daughter’s dog accidentally defecated on her face while she was asleep.
Amanda Gommo, 51, spent three days in hospital after Belle, a chihuahua, had a ‘little accident’ on her face, including in her mouth, causing her to become violently ill and requiring medical treatment.
Ms Gommo, from Bristol, said she was cuddling the dog while taking an afternoon nap, when it became ill and had ‘violent diarrhoea’, with some of the excrement falling into her mouth.
Belle has since been forgiven for her mishap, with Ms Gommo declaring that she ‘will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future’.
Amanda Gommo was hospitalised after her daughter’s dog pooed on her face while she slept
Following the incident, Ms Gommo ran to the bathroom to be sick but was later taken to hospital after falling ill with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed on from Belle.
Speaking of the ordeal, she said: ‘I rushed to the bathroom and my son was in the shower, so before I washed it out I had time to take a quick snap!
‘It was disgusting, and I was hurling violently for hours after – I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.’
Belle was taken to the vet where she was put on antibiotics due to a ‘nasty stomach bug’.
Later that day, Ms Gommo started showing similar symptoms to that of Belle and rang 111 who dispatched an ambulance to her home.
Ms Gommo said she still loves Belle with all her heart following the incident which put her in hospital
Paramedics prescribed her painkillers for her stomach cramps and instructed her to drink lots of water to flush out any potential infection.
After their visit, her symptoms became progressively worse, and 48 hours later, the cramps had spread all over her body.
Ms Gommo’s mother then rang 999, who sent another ambulance and admitted her to the Bristol Royal Infirmary, where she was immediately put on a drip.
There, doctors diagnosed her with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed through Belle’s faeces into her mouth days earlier.
She was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose that she had lost.
Ms Gommo, who also suffers with chromes disease, said: ‘From the moment I got ill to when I was put on the drip, I couldn’t eat a thing.
‘The cramps got worse and worse until I could feel them all over my body – even in my legs.
‘They sent an ambulance the second time, and I was so dehydrated from being sick and having diarrhoea that my kidneys had shrivelled to half their size.
‘I was kept in hospital for three days until they’d flushed the infection out through a drip.
‘My discharge note said that I’d suffered a gastrointestinal infection caused by a dog defecating in my mouth – something doctors had never witnessed before.
‘I’ve been drinking two Lucozades a day, plenty of tea and loads of water since it happened, and I’m happy to say both me and Belle are on the mend.
‘I’ve forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart, but I will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future!’