News, Culture & Society

Dog owner is left with £3,400 vet bill after her ‘daft’ springer spaniel Buzz swallowed 215 STONES

That’s ruff! Dog owner, 20, faces £3,400 vet bill after her spaniel Buzz ate 215 STONES – so many she could her them grinding in his stomach

  • Buzz the dog swallowed 215 stones from the garden where he lives in Kilmarnock
  • Owner Laura Jenkins could hear the stones in his stomach and took him to a vet 
  • The 20-year-old student is now worried that her insurance wont cover the costs  

A dog owner has been left with a staggering £3,400 vet bill after her ‘daft’ springer spaniel Buzz swallowed 215 stones from the garden.

Laura Jenkins could hear the stones grinding together inside her pet’s rock-hard abdomen and knew she had to take the pooch to see a vet in their home town of East Ayrshire.

An amazing X-ray image shows a solid mass of stones the size of a cantaloupe melon completely filling Buzz’s stomach.

The 20-year-old student had to rush Buzz for emergency surgery, where he had to endure a four hour operation.

Laura Jenkins (pictured above) could hear the stones grinding together inside her pet’s rock-hard abdomen

Buzz had chomped down the stones while playing in the garden at the home he lives at in Kilmarnock

Buzz had chomped down the stones while playing in the garden at the home he lives at in Kilmarnock

During the operation surgeons cut through his stomach and intestines. Buzz needed methadone – a heroin substitute – for pain relief.

Buzz is set to make a full recovery but mother-of-one Laura, from Kilmarnock, is now waiting anxiously for confirmation her insurers will pay out.

Speaking today, Laura said: ‘I noticed last Tuesday when I came in…he had pooped stones then later that night he was constantly being sick and bringing up stones.

‘I felt his stomach which was full and I could hear the stones grinding together.

Buzz had to be operated on in order to remove the stones. His stitches are seen on his torso above

Buzz had to be operated on in order to remove the stones. His stitches are seen on his torso above

After the operation he had to wear a cone on his head in order to stop him biting his stitches

After the operation he had to wear a cone on his head in order to stop him biting his stitches

‘I was devastated as he’s only aged one and I never realised he was doing it.’

She said vets felt his stomach and said they would need to operate, but first they did an X-ray.

‘The X-ray showed that they were all through his intestines and that it was going to be a difficult surgery where she had to call in another veterinary surgeon to help out.

‘They had to cut his stomach open and also his intestine to get the stones out.’

Laura said Buzz is doing well and seems happy and content, although a risk of infection remains.

The operation took four hours and Buzz needed some rest after the ordeal, he is pictured recovering above

The operation took four hours and Buzz needed some rest after the ordeal, he is pictured recovering above

Exhausted! Buzz is pictured above taking a well earned nap after the operation

Exhausted! Buzz is pictured above taking a well earned nap after the operation 

She confirmed that the fees are currently sitting at £3,400.

Posting the X-ray to social media on Thursday she wrote: ‘Please don’t let your dogs play with stones.

‘So after a crazy stressful two days, Buzz is back home with his wee family. The daft dog ate 215 stones over a period of time, which I never realised he was doing.

‘Emergency surgery, loads if jags and pills and he’s hopefully on the mend.’

Hundreds of dog owners commented, shocked at the images.

One wrote: ‘Buzz you nearly went to infinity and beyond wee man.’

Another said: ‘Poor boy. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

‘I’ve seen this happen so many times. I just don’t get why they eat them, surely they can’t taste good?!’

And another social media user wrote: ‘Omg. He has been a lucky boy. Hope he gets well soon.’

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.