News, Culture & Society

Dog owner left heartbroken after puppy died ‘when eating vape pod’

Dog owner left heartbroken after her 12-week-old St. Bernard puppy died from eating a nicotine-filled vape pod stashed under the sofa by her teenage son

  • Katie Baars, of Wisconsin, took her dog to the vet as puppy was walking funny
  • Molly was taken to surgery but later that night on June 29, she passed away 
  • Katie, 38, claims to have found a chewed-up vape pod underneath her sofa
  • Experts warn that liquid nicotine can quickly incapacitate a pet 

A dog owner has been left heartbroken following the death of her puppy, who she claims died after eating a vape pod. 

Katie Baars, 38, from Coleman, Wisconsin, rushed 12-week-old Molly to her local vet after noticing the St. Bernard puppy walking and crying oddly, as well as suffering breathing problems. 

Molly was taken to surgery but later that night, she passed away while still at the vets. 

A distraught Katie claims to have found a chewed-up JUUL pod with only one-quarter of the nicotine-laced liquid left underneath her sofa when returning home, and believes Molly drank it.

Katie Baars, 38, from Coleman, Wisconsin, rushed 12-week-old Molly (pictured) to her local vet after noticing the St. Bernard puppy walking and crying oddly, as well as suffering breathing problems

Katie Baars, 38, from Coleman, Wisconsin, rushed 12-week-old Molly (pictured) to the vet after noticing the St. Bernard was walking and crying oddly, and suffering breathing problems

Molly was taken to surgery but later that night on June 29, she passed away while still at the vets. Pictured: Katie's 17-year-old son, Javlin, with the dog

Molly was taken to surgery but later that night on June 29, she passed away while still at the vets. Pictured: Katie’s 17-year-old son, Javlin, with the dog

Her 17-year-old son, Javlin, had apparently hid the pods underneath the sofa so that his mother wouldn’t find them. 

Katie, a First Responder, said: ‘I noticed that Molly was walking weirdly and that she looked weak – but from that point onward she quickly deteriorated.

‘I rang the vet and quickly rushed her in and on the journey she kept getting worse. Within 20 minutes she had started to develop breathing problems and was crying weirdly.

‘When we pulled into the vets she started to seizure and she was quickly seen by someone and who tried to save her.’ 

A distraught Katie (pictured with the puppy) claims to have found a chewed-up JUUL pod with only one-quarter of the nicotine-laced liquid left underneath her sofa when returning home, and believes Molly drank it

Molly as she enjoyed a day out at the playground shortly before her death

Katie (pictured left with the puppy) claims to have found a chewed-up JUUL pod with one-quarter of the nicotine-laced liquid left underneath her sofa, and believes Molly drank it

Katie's 17-year-old son, Javlin, had apparently hid the pods underneath the sofa so that his mother wouldn't find them. Pictured: Molly enjoying a lie down

Katie’s 17-year-old son, Javlin, had apparently hid the pods underneath the sofa so that his mother wouldn’t find them. Pictured: Molly enjoying a lie down

She added: ‘Whilst she was in the vets, I quickly went home to see what may have caused this – because I didn’t want any of my other animals to get hold of it.

‘I checked everywhere outside and then started to tear the house apart inside – that’s when I found the chewed up JUUL pod underneath the sofa.

‘There was about one quarter of the liquid left in the pod and it was completely busted so it’s clear that was what she got hold of. Later that evening we were called to be told that Molly had died.’

Katie said: 'If this story even saves one person's life then Molly (pictured) didn't die for nothing'

Molly pictured running through some fields

Katie said: ‘If this story even saves one person’s life then Molly (pictured) didn’t die for nothing’

Despite not smoking JUUL pods herself, Katie claims her teenage son (pictured with Molly) had been doing so for two weeks and had hidden one underneath the sofa as to not get caught by his parents

Despite not smoking JUUL pods herself, Katie claims her teenage son (pictured with Molly) had been doing so for two weeks and had hidden one underneath the sofa as to not get caught by his parents

Katie is sharing her story in a bid to raise awareness about vaping supplies, as they contain high amounts of liquid nicotine that can quickly sicken or incapacitate a pet, according to PetMD.

‘She was a very big dog and weighed 37lbs at the time, so if a big dog like that can die from a little liquid I hate to think what it’s doing to people,’ Katie said.

‘If this story even saves one person’s life then Molly didn’t die for nothing.’

Despite not smoking JUUL pods herself, Katie claims her teenage son had been doing so for two weeks and had hidden one underneath the sofa as to not get caught by his parents.

She said: ‘Javlin had hidden the pod underneath the sofa so that I wouldn’t see, and that was subsequently how Molly got hold of it.

‘I don’t know where he got the pods from, but all he told me was that everyone at school was smoking it.’ 

JUUL has been approached for a comment.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.