Donald Trump ‘strongly condemns’ a violent video that showed the president massacring a group of journalists and political opponents inside a ‘church of fake news,’ according to his spokesperson.
‘Re: the video played over the weekend: The @POTUS @realDonaldTrump has not yet seen the video, he will see it shortly, but based upon everything he has heard, he strongly condemns this video,’ White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham tweeted on Monday morning.
Several news organizations and the White House Correspondents Association called on the president to disavow the video after its existence was revealed Sunday night.
‘The images depicted are vile and horrific,’ CNN, one of the news organizations depicted, said Sunday night in a statement. ‘The president and his family, the White House, and the Trump campaign need to denounce it immediately in the strongest possible terms. Anything less equates to a tacit endorsement of violence and should not be tolerated by anyone.’
The horrifically violent video was shown to a group of Trump supporters at his Trump National Doral Miami last week, which was the site of a three-day conference held by a pro-Trump organization called American Priority.
The event was attended by former White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders; the president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr; and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, according to The New York Times.
A gruesome, violent video which depicts Donald Trump killing members of the media and Democrats in a ‘church of fake news’ was screened during an event attended by the president’s supporters at his Miami resort last week
The video is an edited version of the church massacre scene from the 2014 film Kingsman: The Secret Service. Trump’s head is superimposed on the body of the film’s star, Colin Firth, who goes on to kill the parishioners who are depicted as media entities
The graphic clip shows Trump shooting and stabbing the parishioners as well as prominent Democrats and media personalities
Sanders and an individual close to Don Jr told the Times that they did not see the video in question.
‘I was there to speak at a prayer breakfast, where I spoke about unity and bringing the country together,’ Sanders told the Times.
‘I wasn’t aware of any video, nor do I support violence of any kind against anyone.’
DeSantis has yet to comment on the matter.
A spokesperson for Trump’s re-election campaign, Tim Murtaugh, said he knew nothing about the video.
‘That video was not produced by the campaign, and we do not condone violence,’ said Murtaugh.
The video, which is being circulated on the internet by Trump supporters, is an edited version of the church massacre scene from the 2014 dark comedy film Kingsman: The Secret Service, starring Colin Firth.
It shows Trump’s head superimposed on Firth’s body as he walks into ‘the church of fake news,’ where the congregants represent major American news outlets like NBC, National Public Radio, Huffington Post, Politico, Vox, Vice News, The Hill, BuzzFeed News, and others.
Trump then goes on a killing rampage, using a gun and spear to shoot and stab the parishioners.
A spokesperson for Trump’s re-election campaign says the campaign had nothing to do with the clip. The Trump National Doral Miami is seen in the above stock image
Among the victims – aside from ‘fake news’ – are prominent Democrats like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, former President Barack Obama, Senator Bernie Sanders, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and others.
Senator Mitt Romney, a Republican who has frequently criticized Trump, is also one of Trump’s ‘victims.’
Other Trump ‘enemies’ who are shown as victims include MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski, actor Rosie O’Donnell, and financier George Soros.
The Times reported that one of the people in attendance at the conference recorded the showing with a cell phone.
That person then asked an intermediary to send the clip to a Times reporter.
An organizer of the event told the Times that the video was shown as part of a ‘meme exhibit.’
‘Content was submitted by third parties and was not associated with or endorsed by the conference in any official capacity,’ said the organizer, Alex Phillips.
The White House Correspondents Association issued a statement on Sunday calling on the president, his family, and his campaign officials to condemn the video
CNN released a statement which read: ‘Sadly, this is not the first time that supporters of the president have promoted violence against the media in a video they apparently find entertaining – but it is by far and away the worst’
‘American Priority rejects all political violence and aims to promote a healthy dialogue about the preservation of free speech.
‘This matter is under review.’
The White House Correspondents Association and CNN issued statements condemning the video and calling on Trump, his family, and administration and campaign officials to denounce violence.
‘All Americans should condemn this depiction of violence directed towards journalists,’ the statement from the White House Correspondents Association said.
‘We have previously told the president his rhetoric could incite violence.
‘Now we call on him and everybody associated with this conference to denounce this video and affirm that violence has no place in our society.’
Since his successful campaign for president, Trump has rallied his supporters against the news media, particularly outlets that he considers ‘fake news.’
In July 2017, Trump posted a tweet showing himself wrestling an opponent whose head was covered with the CNN logo
In July 2017, Trump sparked outrage when he tweeted a clip showing him wrestling an opponent representing CNN.
The video appeared to be a modified version of a 2007 appearance by Trump at World Wrestling Entertainment’s WrestleMania 23 promotion, in which Trump ‘takes down’ WWE Chairman Vince McMahon. In Sunday’s video, McMahon’s head has been replaced with the CNN logo.
After Trump appears to beat on the CNN effigy, a logo, ‘FNN Fraud News Network’ appears at the bottom of the screen in script similar to that of CNN.