Menopause is one of the most common natural changes among women as there are almost 37.5 million women reaching menopause. Most of the women suffering from menopause have an age range between 40 to 58 while the average age of this change is 51 years. For most of the woman, the menopause transition takes around four years. One of the most effective ways to deal with menopause is by undergoing hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and that’s what we are going to discuss in this blog post.
What is Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)?
Menopause occurs in women after their last menstrual cycle and during this period, the estrogen level in the body falls which results in several uncomfortable symptoms like hot flashes and vaginal dryness. In such situations, HRT is considered to be the most effective solution. Along with reducing the above-mentioned symptoms, the HRT can also minimize the risk of osteoporosis.
There are different types of HRT based on the process like in some HRT, both progesterone and estrogen are used while in others the only estrogen is used. There is also a type of HRT in which testosterone is used. There are different ways of taking the HRT like in the form of tablets, skin patches, gels, creams, and rings.
The same hormone replacement therapy is used for people who undergo a sex change but in this blog post, we will be focusing on the use of hormone replacement therapy for women in the case of menopause only.
Some fast facts regarding
- Hormone replacement therapy for women is one of the most effective ways to reduce the uncomfortable symptoms of menopause in women and it also reduces future risk.
- Women taking HRT have reported a reduction in menopause symptoms like hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
- Many people associate HRT with the risk of cancer but nothing has been proved yet so you must consider it as a rumor only.
- A woman taking HRT should always talk to his physician first and he/she must be aware of your complete health history.
- It is true that Hormone replacement therapy may decrease the aging of your skin but it cannot stop the other effect of aging which makes you look old.
What are the benefits of HRT?
Although there are several implementations of HRT in different cases, since we are talking about menopause only, following are the symptoms which are reduced by the use of HRT
- Decreased sex drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Mood swings
- Night sweat
- Hot flushes, etc.
Along with this, taking HRT can also nullify the weakening of bones which is a result of menopause.
Who shouldn’t take Hormone replacement therapy?
If you are suffering from the following conditions, then you shouldn’t take Hormone replacement therapy:-
- Known pregnancy
- Heart disease
- Blood clots
- Liver disease
Hormone replacement therapy is one of the most effective solutions for reducing the uncomfortable symptoms of menopause. Talk to your doctor and start HRT on approval for reducing your discomfort.
Author Name – Aditya