With the emergence of social media, we are currently having a lot of options in our hands for using. Various social media websites have come up in recent years and these have managed to leave a mark. Out of these Twitter is a prominent one.
Here’s everything you need to know about Twitter –
What Is Twitter?
So it was back in 2006 when Jack Dorsey, the co-founder of Twitter, hit an idea of making something sort of a SMS based communication platform which could allow people to keep a tab of their known ones while contacting with them too! And hence the website named Twitter was born. This idea of a basic texting platform was improved by Dorsey with some help from his fellow co-founder Evan Williams. From the past 10 years, the most trending topic is Facebook vs Twitter. Which is best for business? And the discussion still continues. To complete the revolutionary social media giant like Facebook, it was never easy for Jack Dorsey to make Twitter a leading social media platform. But history is here in front of everyone.
So basically Twitter allowed its users to send messages or posts about their feelings, thus, travel histories, experiences, etc. within a 140 character limit. Now, this limit of 140 characters was not set by Twitter but by the users themselves. And it is a good idea as Twitter is all about a small description of what you are doing or feeling.
Twitter saw growth in the year 2007 and since then it has become one of the most popular social media websites being used by big celebs all around the world thus making a total of about 100 million users and counting. And at least 500 million tweets are sent every day as well.
What Is Twitter Used For?
So you know that Twitter is a social media platform right? It has a lot of unique and different features that make it better than other such websites. When you are new to this platform, you are not going to face any problem in using it and can easily get adapted.
And there are a lot of things you can do on Twitter. You can keep an update of your friend or take their updates through the statuses they upload, you can share your feelings or your thoughts, you can break through the news and do many such kinds of stuff on Twitter.
How Do You Use It?
So when you want to use Twitter, the first step would be to create an account. Your account will be just like the other ones you have opened on other platforms and it will contain the basic information about you.
Since you can use Twitter both on computer and mobile, there are different ways in which you can register yourself.
- First, you will have to either download the Twitter app or you can choose to use the Twitter web too.
- The next step would be setting up which includes providing your full name. And unlike Facebook, you can change your name unlimited times on Twitter!
- Then you will have to provide your mobile number. This will be used in case you lose the account and want authentication. So it is better to give a number which you have access to because the next step will ask you to verify your number through a text sent on it.
- Then you will choose a password. And for God’s sake use something which will be easy for you to remember but hard for the others.
- Next, you can choose your username which will go on something like this – @xyzlalala and this will help other users to find you. So use something unique but easy.
- Finally, you will be good to go after you upload your avatar or display a picture and a cover photo. This will help others to recognize you.
- So first you need to obviously install the app and I will not advise using the Twitter web here.
- Then you will have to provide your mobile number or email address through which you will be registered. You should have access to both of these as you will need to verify in the next step.
- Then you will be asked to sync your contacts which will help you in identifying the users from your own list. If you do not want that, you can just click on Not Now.
- Then you will have to provide your avatar and cover photo. This will be followed by your profile name which should be easy to remember.
- Next, you will have to set a password strong enough to maintain your privacy well.
- Finally, you can go for your username which will be @something and thus should be unique as well as simple! And you are done!
So finally you have your account on Twitter. Now you can search for your favorite people and celebs while following them and tweeting something of your own. For this, you can just tap on the “Feather” button which will be on the bottom right corner and you are good to post your own tweet. Not everyone has a great following on this platform, so it is very difficult to increase the followers count on Twitter, somehow people manage to get more followers simply by buying them.
You can use various hashtags and Twitter also provides its own custom emoji and Tenor gifs. So you can easily make your tweets interesting! Twitter is really very easy to use and you will see yourself getting adapted to it once you spend some time on it. And just like other social media platforms, you can do your marketing stuff if you are a businessman. And believe me, it is very simple!