Ex MasterChef judge Gary Mehigan breaks silence on new show

Gary Mehigan has broken his silence on the newly revamped MasterChef series.

On Saturday, the former judge, 53, told Daily Mail Australia that while he hasn’t tuned in, he’s ‘honoured’ to have ‘set the standard’ in creating good television.  

Last year, Channel 10 took a gamble by replacing Gary, George Calombaris and Matt Preston with three virtual unknowns – Melissa Leong, Jock Zonfrillo and Andy Allen.

EXCLUSIVE: ‘It’s an honour to have set the standard’: Former MasterChef judge Gary Mehigan (pictured in June 2019), 53, has broken his silence on Channel Ten’s newly revamped show

‘I’ll be honest, I haven’t watched the new MasterChef, but then again I never watched MasterChef when I was in it. I was there after all,’ he began.

‘With [executive producer] Marty Benson and the team behind the show, it can’t be anything else but great television.’   

Gary went on to reveal his pride in having presented the cooking series for just over a decade with George and Matt.

‘The three of us could not be prouder of the 11 wonderful years on MasterChef, including Junior MasterChef, All-Stars, Celebrity MasterChef and Professionals.’

Paved the way: Gary told Daily Mail Australia on Saturday that while he hasn't tuned in, he's 'honoured' to have 'set the standard' in creating good television. Pictured with fellow former MasterChef judges Matt Preston (centre) and George Calombaris (right)

Paved the way: Gary told Daily Mail Australia on Saturday that while he hasn’t tuned in, he’s ‘honoured’ to have ‘set the standard’ in creating good television. Pictured with fellow former MasterChef judges Matt Preston (centre) and George Calombaris (right) 

The chef and restaurateur also wished the new judges nothing but the best. 

‘What a legacy. We have passed the baton and moved on, but it will always be an important part of who we are,’ he said.

‘It has been an honour to have set the standard and played our part in creating positive, feel-good, family viewing.

New chapter: 'What a legacy. We have passed the baton and moved on, but it will always be an important part of who we are,' Gary said. Pictured from L to R: new judges Andy Allen, Melissa Leong and Jock Zonfrillo

New chapter: ‘What a legacy. We have passed the baton and moved on, but it will always be an important part of who we are,’ Gary said. Pictured from L to R: new judges Andy Allen, Melissa Leong and Jock Zonfrillo 

‘For us, it’s about new challenges and exciting new projects, and importantly doing what we do best and that’s sharing our love for food.’ 

Earlier this month, fellow judge George, 41, was the first to break his silence on the revamped show, praising the cooking competition after its grand debut.

Taking to Instagram at the time, he wrote underneath a photo of this year’s returning contestants: ‘OMG. A massive result last night on MC12 launch night.’

What a guy! Earlier this month, fellow judge George, 41, was the first to break his silence on the revamped show, praising the cooking competition after its grand debut

What a guy! Earlier this month, fellow judge George, 41, was the first to break his silence on the revamped show, praising the cooking competition after its grand debut 

Nothing but praise: 'OMG. A massive result last night on MC12 launch night,' he wrote underneath a photo of this year's returning contestants

Nothing but praise: ‘OMG. A massive result last night on MC12 launch night,’ he wrote underneath a photo of this year’s returning contestants

Returning chef Hayden Quinn, who appeared on season three, was quick to comment on the post, writing: 'What a night mate! Haha I needed a hug! Thanks for all the support'

Returning chef Hayden Quinn, who appeared on season three, was quick to comment on the post, writing: ‘What a night mate! Haha I needed a hug! Thanks for all the support’

He continued: ‘Congrats to Channel 10, Endemol Shine Australia, all the awesome crew, the contestants and the new judges. Well done!’ 

Returning chef Hayden Quinn, who appeared on season three, was quick to comment on the post, writing: ‘What a night mate! Haha I needed a hug! Thanks for all the support.’ 

Fellow celebrity chef Curtis Stone, who will appear as a celebrity judge later in the season, also commented on his Instagram post, writing: ‘George, you’re an absolute gentleman,’ alongside the hashtags ‘humble’ and ‘gracious’. 

The premiere episode was watched by 1.23million viewers nationwide, making it the highest rating reality TV premiere for the year. 

MasterChef: Back To Win continues Sunday at 7.30pm on Channel Ten. 

Gamble: Channel 10 took a gamble by replacing Gary, George and Matt with three virtual unknowns. This year's premiere episode was watched by 1.23million viewers nationwide, making it the highest rating reality TV premiere for the year

Gamble: Channel 10 took a gamble by replacing Gary, George and Matt with three virtual unknowns. This year’s premiere episode was watched by 1.23million viewers nationwide, making it the highest rating reality TV premiere for the year 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk