Ex-Mets star Octavio Dotel is freed from a Dominican Republic jail after being accused of working in drug kingpin’s cocaine and opioid empire
- Former New York Mets all-star Octavio Dotel, 45, was released from a Dominican Republic jail on Thursday
- He and and fellow former Mets pitcher Luis Castillo, 43, were accused last week of laundering assets for Dominican drug lord Cesar Emilio Peralta
- A judge ruled that there was ‘insufficient evidence’ linking Dotel to Peralta
- The retired pitcher was allowed to leave jail after paying $1 million bond for gun related charges after police found firearms during previous raids
- Both Dotel and Castillio, who remains in the U.S., have denied the charges
A retired New York Mets all-star accused last week of working for an infamous Dominican drug kingpin was released from jail on his Caribbean island homeland on Thursday.
Former Mets pitcher Octavio Dotel, 45, was swarmed by reporters after paying a $1 million bail and walking out of jail.
On August 21, Dominican authorities linked Dotel and fellow retired Mets pitcher Luis Castillo, 43, to an assets laundering scheme executed on behalf of notorious Dominican druglord Cesar Emilio Peralta, also known as ‘Cesar the Abuser,’ by locals, according to Diario Libre.
Dotel was arrested on the island last week. Castillo has remained in the U.S.
Former Major League Baseball player Octavio Dotel (center), 45, arrested on suspicion of being linked to a powerful drug trafficking network, talks to the press while being transferred to a courthouse in the Palace of Justice of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on August 22
Dotel and fellow former MLB pitcher Luis Castillo (pictured) were accused last week of laundering assets for Dominican drug lord Cesar Emilio Peralta
On August 21, Dominican authorities linked Dotel and fellow retired Mets pitcher Luis Castillo, 43, to an assets laundering scheme executed on behalf of notorious Dominican druglord Cesar Emilio Peralta (pictured), also known as ‘Cesar the Abuser,’ by locals
Permanent Attention Court of the National District Judge Jose Alejandro Vargas ruled Thursday that there wasn’t sufficient tying Dotel to Peralta’s opioid and cocaine empire.
But the judge imposed a $1 million bond on Dotel to ensure he returns to face additional firearms-related charges.
Local law enforcement officials previously executed raids where they said they found guns that Dotel had owned and carried illegally.
Both Dotel and Castillo say they had nothing to do with Peralta’s alleged criminal activity.
Both Dotel and Castillo say they had nothing to do with Peralta’s alleged criminal activity
Castillo’s attorney, Darren Heitner, demanded an apology from the Dominican government for implicating his client.
‘We demand information, and ultimately, an apology, because Luis Castillo has not been involved in any drug trafficking whatsoever,’ Heitner told the Athletic on August 22.