News, Culture & Society

Extreme restrictions force ALL Victorians to quarantine immediately in Western Australia

Extreme restrictions force ALL Victorians to quarantine immediately in one state – but borders are open for now as Melbourne’s Covid-19 outbreak DOUBLES in a day

Western Australia have introduced tough new restrictions on Victorian travellers declaring new arrivals must immediately self isolate, as a Covid outbreak in Melbourne continues to climbed.

The state government stopped short of closing its border to Victoria, but will require all arrivals from from 6pm on Tuesday, to immediately get tested and self-quarantine until they receive a negative result.  

Anyone who has visited any of the 23 exposure sites in Victoria during the relevant times are required to get tested immediately and must self-quarantine for 14 days. 

Travellers from Victoria who have arrived since May 15 are urged to monitor their health closely and are warned they will be contacted by WA Police, using the G2G Pass declaration system in place in WA.

Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan announced that Victorian arrivals must self-isolate

Restriction for Victorian travellers 

– Effective from 6pm today (May 25): all arrivals from Victoria must get a COVID-19 test on arrival or within 48 hours and self-quarantine until they return a negative result 

– They must wear a mask when in transit to their premise or to get a COVID-19 test. 

– Anyone who has visited any of the exposure sites in Victoria during the relevant times should get tested immediately for COVID-19 and self-quarantine for 14 days from their date of exposure. 

– People who have visited an exposure site must also get a COVID-19 test on day two and day 11 of their 14-day self-quarantine. 

– Travellers from Victoria who have arrived since May 15 are urged to monitor their health closely and are warned they will be contacted by WA Police, using the G2G Pass declaration system in place in WA. 

There were four new locally-acquired cases confirmed in Melbourne today, bringing the shock cluster to nine. 

Victoria’s Department of Health announced a man in his 60s who tested positive – infected a further four household contacts.    

Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan said described the situation as ‘concerning’.

‘This is a rapidly evolving situation and things may well change,’ he said.

‘Given the unknown source of the current outbreak, and genomic sequencing confirming a link to the Victorian man who acquired the virus in South Australian hotel quarantine earlier this month, it is a very concerning situation.

‘It means there have been infectious people in the Victorian community potentially since May 15.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk