Factory worker, 57, is first Briton to die from lung disease ‘linked to vaping’
- Terry Miller, 57, from Gateshead is the first death to be attributed with vaping
- The former factory worker’s body was found to have oils saturating his lungs
- Vaping has been linked with around 200 health problems including pneumonia
57-year-old Briton, Terry Miller, has been named the world’s first victim of the deadly disease lipoid pneumonia likely due to vaping.
The former factory worker died in 2010 and his widow Glynis has since criticised UK health watchdogs for their claims about the safety of e-cigarettes.
Doctors referred Mr Miller’s death to an inquest after they found oil in his lungs. A coroner recorded an open verdict.
A 57-year-old Briton, Terry Miller, is the world’s first known victim of lipoid pneumonia likely caused by vaping
In the US, 13 people have died due to vaping and 800 have fallen ill.
Dr Gareth Walters, a consultant in occupational and interstitial lung diseases at the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, said we cannot yet assess the risk because there is not enough information.
Vaping has been linked with 200 health problems including heart disorders, chest pains and pneumonia, an official dossier has revealed.
Health watchdog the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recorded 74 reports of health problems suspected to have been caused by e-cigarettes since 2014.
Of the 74 cases, 49 were classified as ‘serious’.
Vaping has been linked with 200 health problems including heart disorders, chest pains and pneumonia
Experts are now calling for a national system to record every problem associated with e-cigarettes amid increasing concern over their safety, according to The Sunday Times.
They have already been banned in Brazil, India, Thailand and Singapore.
The MHRA insisted all health problems are reviewed and emphasised they are not concrete proof of the side effects of vaping.
Last week, the chief executive of vaping brand Juul, Kevin Burns, resigned amid growing fears around the popular e-cigarettes
But they said people reporting the ailments are attributing their problems to the e-cigarettes.
E-cigarette users have been advised to monitor their shortness of breath or any signs of coughing or fever.
Last week, the chief executive of vaping brand Juul, Kevin Burns, resigned amid growing fears around the popular e-cigarettes.