News, Culture & Society

Famed chef Mario Batali’s Vegas Strip restaurants will close

Mario Batali’s three Las Vegas Strip restaurants will shut down July 27, officials said Friday, as the celebrity chef faces sexual misconduct allegations from multiple women.

Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group partner Joe Bastianich sent a letter to nearly 300 workers about the closures of Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, B&B Ristorante and Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria at The Venetian and Palazzo resorts. He promised to visit the restaurants to speak to employees.

The Color Toner Experts

The letter said Las Vegas Sands Corp., which owns both properties, was ending the business relationship. Sands Corp. issued a statement confirming the closure.

‘These restaurants have continued to succeed, and they are a tribute to every one of you who works in them and brings great dining experiences to our guests,’ Bastianich’s letter reads. ‘Unfortunately, our partner in these restaurants, Las Vegas Sands Corp., has decided to end our relationship.’ 

Three of celebrity chef Mario Batali’s Las Vegas restaurants are closing just days after it was announced the NYPD are investigating allegations of sexual misconduct

Employees of Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, B&B Ristorante and Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria, pictuted, all located in The Venetian and Palazzo resorts, were informed of the decision Friday

Employees of Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, B&B Ristorante and Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria, pictuted, all located in The Venetian and Palazzo resorts, were informed of the decision Friday

Employees of Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, B&B Ristorante and Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria, all located in The Venetian and Palazzo resorts, were informed of the decision Friday morning in a letter from B&B Hospitality Group partner Joe Bastianich. B&B estimates that 298 employees will be affected by the closures.    bandb.JPG

300 employees which include those working at Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, pictured, were told Friday morning morning in a letter from B&B Hospitality Group partner Joe Bastianich

It goes on to promise: ‘I am committed to continuing our presence in Las Vegas. I am beginning to explore options, but it will take some time to execute them.’

‘We would like to thank the team members of B&B Restaurant Group for their dedication and many contributions to The Venetian and The Palazzo. We appreciate the hard work and energy of director of operations Zach Allen, Chef/Culinary Director Nicole Brisson and the rest of this team. At this time, there are no other plans for the space,’ the statement continued. 

Bastianich is scheduled to visit the restaurants Friday to speak to employees about the next two months of operation as well as how the company plans to help them transition to new positions.

The move came days after police in New York confirmed an investigation into a woman’s claim on 60 Minutes that Batali drugged and sexually assaulted her in 2005. 

In the piece, a woman recounted waking up in The Spotted Pig restaurant in New York, in which Batali was invested, remembering having sat on Batali’s lap the previous evening, kissing him and vomiting in a toilet. 

She said that she believed she had been drugged and that Batali had done something ‘very wrong.’ 

On Sunday night, a former employee of Batali (above) said on 60 Minutes that she believes the chef may have drugged and sexually assaulted her in 2005

On Sunday night, a former employee of Batali (above) said on 60 Minutes that she believes the chef may have drugged and sexually assaulted her in 2005

The NYPD has opened an investigation into Batali, but a spokesperson would not confirm if it was in response to the 2004 rape allegation (Batali above at The Spotted Pig in 2009)

The NYPD has opened an investigation into Batali, but a spokesperson would not confirm if it was in response to the 2004 rape allegation (Batali above at The Spotted Pig in 2009)

The employees were told of their pending unemployment in a letter on Friday morning

The employees were told of their pending unemployment in a letter on Friday morning

Wife: Batali and his wife Susan (above) appear to still be together in spit of the allegations being made by these women, and the couple have two teenage sons

Wife: Batali and his wife Susan (above) appear to still be together in spit of the allegations being made by these women, and the couple have two teenage sons

The segment also featured a former manager at the Spotted Pig who said she intervened after seeing Batali assaulting a woman she believed to be unconscious or semi-conscious. 

The New York Police Department is now investigating allegations raised in the ’60 Minutes’ report. 

Batali denies assaulting the woman.

A Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group representative said the company decided to close the Las Vegas restaurants before the 60 Minutes report aired 

Batali stepped down in December from daily operations at his restaurant empire and cooking show The Chew after four women accused him of inappropriate touching over a period of 20 years.

Batali has apologized for those encounters.

Batali had amassed a vast culinary empire — his brand spanned dozens of restaurants in six U.S. states and Singapore, and his name was attached to several culinary products. He also authored more than a dozen cookbooks.

Batali has had a strong presence in Southern California, including his Mozza restaurants in Los Angeles and Newport Beach and the Eataly marketplaces that opened in New York City and LA. 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.