News, Culture & Society

Fans call on Scarlett Moffatt to co-host Saturday Night Takeaway

Saturday Night Takeaway fans have called on Scarlett Moffatt, 27, to co-host the final two shows of the series alongside Declan Donnelly, 42. 

As Dec’s presenting partner Ant McPartlin heads to rehab following a drink-driving charge the star will not join his best friend in hosting the live show.

ITV revealed on Wednesday that this week’s show had been cancelled, but the remaining two episodes of the series would go ahead fronted solely by Dec.

Stepping up? Saturday Night Takeaway fans have called on Scarlett Moffatt, 27, to co-host the final two shows of the series alongside Declan Donnelly, 42

Viewers immediately took to Twitter, however, to throw their support behind another Geordie double act, begging for Scarlett – who plays a minor role on the show – to step up and co-host. 

Fans wrote: ‘Go for it Dec and Scarlett. The show must go on!! All the best wishes to Ant.’; ‘Ah big decision for you Dec,good luck, hope it’s Scarlett not Stephen!! Love to you Ant, look forward to seeing you better x’

‘Why’s everyone so nasty ? I think Scarlett would be perfect they could have both Scarlett and Stephen helping dec presenting it as a trio tbh it won’t be the same till ants back anyway’; ‘@itvtakeaway Dec and Scarlett taking over the last episodes of current series will still be worth watching even without Ant. Let’s all wish him a full recovery and hope to see back on our tv screens soon. #SaturdayNightTakeaway

Shake up: Following Ant McPartlin's drink driving charge and decision to enter rehab, the show will be hosted solely by Declan Donnelly with Scarlett and Stephen Mulhern supporting 

Shake up: Following Ant McPartlin’s drink driving charge and decision to enter rehab, the show will be hosted solely by Declan Donnelly with Scarlett and Stephen Mulhern supporting 

Supportive: Fans have called on Scarlett to co-host with Dec when the show returns 

Supportive: Fans have called on Scarlett to co-host with Dec when the show returns 

‘i hope @ScarlettMoffatt plays a leading role so sad about Ant but haway Scarlett hugs to you Dec’; ‘#thinking of Ant and hoping he is where he needs to be soon…. Dec this is a tough one for you trust in #Scarlett Moffat she will be a brilliant wing woman. Thinking of all .

‘Respect to Dec Donnelley presenting alone Saturday night on the Takeaway! A true professional – the show must go on. But will Scarlett Moffat or Cat Deely be presenting alongside?’

MailOnline has contacted Scarlett’s representatives and ITV for comment.  

Support: Ant reportedly gave Dec his blessing to host the final two episodes, as the embattled presenter heads to rehab hours after he was charged for drink-driving

Support: Ant reportedly gave Dec his blessing to host the final two episodes, as the embattled presenter heads to rehab hours after he was charged for drink-driving

Meanwhile, it has also been claimed that Ant and Dec’s good pal Cat Deeley could be roped in for the finale. 

An insider told The Sun: ‘Cat can bring the feel good nostalgia that producers desperately need right now.

‘She had brilliant on-screen chemistry with Ant and Dec for more than five years and would fit in perfectly.’

Ant reportedly gave Dec his blessing to host the final two episodes of Saturday Night Takeaway without him.

The Mirror reports the 42-year-old presenter, who was involved in a three car crash on Sunday, gave his best friend and presenting pal of more than two decades Dec, 42, his support to go it alone for the final shows.

A source told the website: ‘Dec wouldn’t go ahead without Ant giving him the OK. Because of their previous pact to work together throughout their career.’ 

'She can bring the feel good nostalgia': Meanwhile, it has also been claimed that Ant and Dec's good pal Cat Deeley could be roped in for the finale

‘She can bring the feel good nostalgia’: Meanwhile, it has also been claimed that Ant and Dec’s good pal Cat Deeley could be roped in for the finale

This comes amid claims Dec has been left in a ‘bad way’ following Ant’s arrest and subsequent charge for drink-driving.

The Sun reports that Dec has felt devastated that he has had to break the pact the pair made always to present as a duo.    

A source said: ‘Dec is in a terrible state of mind. He’s totally devastated by what has happened and has had to make difficult decisions in a quick space of time. 

‘Dec is facing the prospect of having to work on his own – something he simply hasn’t done because they’ve always been a duo. The decision to go ahead with Takeaway was totally Dec’s, and ITV made it clear they’d respect it.

‘He feels strongly that a lot was riding on it for a lot of people, but it is incredibly tough for him right now.’     

MailOnline has contacted a representative for Ant and Dec for comment.   

Confirmed: Dec released a statement admitting he had been forced to break a promise to his best friend so he doesn't let down viewers and people on the show

Confirmed: Dec released a statement admitting he had been forced to break a promise to his best friend so he doesn’t let down viewers and people on the show

On Wednesday, Declan confirmed he will host the final two Saturday Night Takeaway episodes alone as his best friend heads for a spell in rehab. 

Dec admitted ‘I never thought I’d be in this position’ as he is set to appear on one of their TV shows without his co-star for the first time in their 20-year career.

Dec’s difficult decision came after Ant crashed his car in Richmond on Sunday and he met with police today after being arrested on suspicion of drink driving.

Takeaway co-stars Stephen Mulhern and Scarlett Moffatt will appear as usual but it is not yet known if Dec will appear on stage alone.

He said in a statement released after meeting with ITV bosses today: ‘Whilst I never thought I’d be in this position, after much discussion and careful consideration we’ve decided that the remaining two shows of this series of Saturday Night Takeaway will go ahead.

‘We made a promise to take hundreds of deserving winners to Florida to watch the series finale, and we will honour that.

Visit: Declan Donnelly arrived at Ant's £1.6million rented property in London shortly after his friend returned from the police station

Visit: Declan Donnelly arrived at Ant’s £1.6million rented property in London shortly after his friend returned from the police station

‘Everyone at ITV and the Takeaway team feels we owe it to the audience to complete the series’. 

An ITV spokesman added: ‘We can confirm that Saturday Night Takeaway, presented by Declan Donnelly, will return to ITV on March 31, and the series finale will be taking place at Universal Orlando Resort in Florida a week later.’

In their 2010 autobiography, Ooh! What A Lovely Pair, Dec wrote he couldn’t do it without his screen partner.

He said: ‘We made an agreement – whatever happened, we’d be mates forever, and neither one of us would ever be on our own out there.

‘If it all ended tomorrow, we’d still speak every day, we’d still see each other all the time and we’d still be best mates. And that’s something we’re both very proud of.’

Declan Donnelly has revealed he is to present Saturday Night Takeaway without his best friend Ant as he heads to rehab (both pictured today)

The 42-year-old was seen leaving his £1.6million rented property in west London where he has been in lockdown since Sunday

Speaking out: Declan Donnelly revealed he is to present Saturday Night Takeaway without his best friend Ant as he heads to rehab (both pictured on Wednesday)

Dec (pictured with Ant, Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby on Saturday) admitted he never thought he'd have to go it alone

Dec (pictured with Ant, Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby on Saturday) admitted he never thought he’d have to go it alone

Ant’s £26,000 John Cooper black Mini was searched for drugs after he was involved in a crash with two other cars in Richmond, south west London, on Sunday.

While no substances were found, the presenter failed a breathalyser test at the scene of the crash and was arrested.

Police previously confirmed that a number of individuals were treated at the scene for minor injuries, and a child passenger from one of the cars was taken to hospital to be checked as a precaution.

It marked the latest in a string of personal setbacks for the star, whose admission to rehab last year was followed, several months later, by the announcement that his marriage of 11 years to his wife Lisa had ended.  

Pictured: The TV presenter, 42, was seen appearing dazed as he climbs out of his £26,000 John Cooper, which smashed into two other cars and injured a three-year-old girl

Pictured: The TV presenter, 42, was seen appearing dazed as he climbs out of his £26,000 John Cooper, which smashed into two other cars and injured a three-year-old girl



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk