Fast 800: Cowboy baked beans
This simple version can be served at breakfast or as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or meat. It’s also lovely topped with crumbled cheese for a quick supper
Cowboy baked beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ – 1 tsp tsp smoked paprika, hot or sweet, depending on taste
- 1 × 400g can haricot beans, drained
- 350g passata
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 thin slices wholegrain bread (each around 20g)
Heat the oil in a nonstick saucepan, add the onion and gently fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the garlic and paprika and cook for a few seconds more, stirring.
Tip the beans into the pan and add the passata and Worcestershire sauce. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened, stirring regularly – especially towards the end of the cooking time.
Just before the beans are ready, toast the bread and place on two plates. Spoon the beans over and serve.
Use any canned beans you like; just keep the quantities the same.
ON 5:2 NON-FAST DAYS
Serve with an extra slice of wholegrain toast and a generous drizzle of olive oil.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALS 309, PROTEIN 13g, FAT 7g, FIBRE 15g, CARBS 41g